Prologue

Jolie Kalea
The Day Before

"Excuse me, waiter girl?"

I tense up at the man's disgusted tone. I shouldn't have worked today, is my first thought as I make my way over to the man, stretching a forced smile across my face.

"Yes?" I say through my teeth, trying my hardest to not strangle the middle-aged man.

"Why haven't our orders come yet? It's been over ten minutes since we sat down."

I purse my lips together in frustration, pushing my snappy words down my throat. Today was not the day to make me angry. I can't explain it, but I just feel like everything is making me angry. I woke up this morning with three new pimples decorating my face, proving my point further.

Amazing, isn't it?

"Sir, you haven't ordered yet. I came by earlier to ask you if you were ready and you said no. So, I did my job and went to take the people's orders who were ready." I informed him in the calmest way I physically could.

His trickled-in white beard surrounded mouth visibly drops at my response. I hold back a cheeky smirk and eyebrow raise by taking out my notepad and holding up my pen to my lips.

His daughter in front of him lets out a scoff, flipping her shoulder-length, bleach blonde hair over her shoulder as she scans the menu once again.

See, this father-daughter duo are regulars here at Annie's — The Stratfords. They are ruthless, mean, snappy and anything to describe a Marvel supervillain.  And you would think being so rich and proper, they would stop coming here but no. Apparently to Barbie, it was a reminder when they're in such a 'cute and aesthetic' place that they could never live like this.

We never kick them out or snap back at their awful behavior because the girl's aunt is a food critic and could give us a C rating.

We would never want that, so we just put up with it.

"Well, can I have the mocha frap with no fat whip cream with sugar-free chocolate drizzle? And make sure there is no ice chunks like last time." She makes sure to emphasize on the 'no', as if I was the one to serve her last time.

I quickly scribble her overly complicated order and turn to the older man. "And you, sir?"

"I'll have a black coffee with three of the blue sugars and a blueberry muffin." He explains while folding the menu and passing it into my hands. I slip my notepad back into my white apron and take their menus with a fake grin.

"Your orders will be out shortly." I nod with an overly preppy tone before turning my back towards them. My eyes roll into the back of my head as I let out a long sigh, walking towards the back where the kitchen was.

I reach back into my apron to tear off their order and slip it towards our main chef — Eliza. She is an absolute sweetheart. Her fiery hair is up in a tight bun and she's wearing her chef's attire, cooking up some eggs.

I flash her a genuine smile as a 'thank you' while she takes the slip and I compliment her eyes. After I leave the kitchen, I walk out to check on some customers. Handing out more napkins and straws to those who need it and cleaning up tables.

A ring fills the diner, causing my head to look towards it. There stood someone I couldn't help but gape at.

"Caleb!" I start to scold him because he's 20 minutes late. "Where have you been?"

"I'm sorry! My mom needed me to take my sister to her friends house." He replied, an apologetic look in his dark blue eyes.

Caleb began working at Annie's alongside me and the amazing staff a few months ago when he turned 16. He's a sweet kid and he's my best friend — next to Lilia and Isla. He tends to come to me when he has boy or girl troubles and it's beyond heartwarming that he confides in me with that sort of stuff.