Thirteen

Jolie Kalea
3 Years Ago

"Maaaa! Where are my soccer shoes?"

I groan out at the sudden loud shouting and cover my head with my pillow, hearing Justin scream out for Ma. It was seven o'clock in the morning on a Saturday. Why the fuck do they wake up so early in this house? It's not like the soccer fields will vanish if they're not there by 8.

"I don't know, mijo! Check out on the porch!" Ma shouts back, letting out a loud and audible sigh.

She's so overworked going through not one, not two, but four lazy sons. I was the only one who ever helped and appreciated everything she did for us. I help with groceries, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. Basically everything while my older brothers got everything handed to them by Dad like they were royalty.

I never understood why she didn't just stop after one, but to each their own.

Letting out a long, aggravated sigh, I slip out of my black and white floral bed sheets and shuffle over to the door with disheveled hair and dried up drool on the corner of my mouth. I spot Justin in all his glory, standing in the hallway on the phone with his girlfriend.

"Yeah, baby. I'll be at the field soon, alright?" He holds the phone up by his ear, locking eyes with me as I walk past him to get to the bathroom.

"Excuse me," I say softly as I glide past him.

His judgmental hazel eyes looked me up and down with disgust before shaking his head like I was some disappointment. I hate to think about it but it's true. I was to every single man that has lived and that is living in this household.

"What? Oh yeah, I'm fine, babe. Just my... sister," he sighs, leaning up against the wall near the bathroom

I rolled my eyes at his words, acting like the pause he took before he said 'sister' didn't jab me in the heart. I step into the bathroom, shutting the pastel yellow painted wooden door and locking it.

I pass by my reflection in the toothpaste-water stained mirror and notice the absolute bird's nest on the back of my head. Turning on the faucet, I stick my palms underneath the luke-warm water and brush my wispy hairs down to then tie it back into a low bun.

I grab my soft yellow toothbrush and stick the bristles underneath the faucet. I do my routine of brushing my teeth and just staring at my reflection, wondering what went wrong with me that the men in my family hate.

I'm so incredibly kind to all of them. Every single one because I hope that maybe one day I'll get a 'thank you' or a 'appreciate it, Jo'.

Just something, anything to show that they don't completely hate me and are ashamed of the fattest and youngest of the Kalea siblings.

Suddenly loud banging comes from outside the door, causing me to jump out of my head and in real life.

"Jolie, will you hurry it up in there? I got to fuckin' piss before I go the fields," Justin's booming voice flows the the chipping wood.

"I'm almost done, Justin. Hold on," I spit out the watery toothpaste mixture into the sink.

The banging becomes more intense causing me to grab onto the handle and swing it open. His floppy deep brown waves — that looks quite fucking stupid, if you ask me — covers just over his eyebrows.

"Damn, what were you doing in there?"

"Brushing my teeth and actually having dental hygiene," I responded flatly, shoving past him.

I didn't want to be nice anymore.

"Hey, you might want to watch those man-shoulders of yours. Wouldn't want the football team getting rammed down by those things," he spits back.