Five

Jolie Kalea

"Jo, do you realize how desperate you look?"

I turned to Caleb with an expression that resembled a little kid getting caught stealing candy from the secret cabinet in the pantry. I slowly set my phone down onto the countertop I was leaning up against, plastering on an innocent smile.

He raises his eyebrows at me as he jerks towards my tables with his head.

"I'm not desperate. Just... concerned." I defend myself as I take my phone from the countertop and slip it into my apron.

Harry and I haven't really spoken for the past two weeks. I've tried texting him multiple times throughout the weeks out of concern for him. After the first few days of simple responses, I then proceeded to be left on read.

Maybe I was too much at once. I hope he didn't hate my spam texts.

Oh, god, he probably did.

I tend to be overly nice and concerned for people I've barely met so it was not surprising that I was being ignored.

"Yeah, well, be a little more concerned for your table that's giving you the stink eye right now." Caleb's voice snaps me out of my crowded thoughts.

I let out a sigh and made my way over to the couple that was waiting on my presence. After taking their orders, another ring fills the diner and I look up to see a familiar face. A subtle smirk spreads onto my face at the way he was looking around for a certain someone.

His eyes catch my own and he nods his head with a small smile before continuing to search for Caleb.

"Excuse me. I'll be right back, sorry." I kindly rush out before maneuvering myself around tables and make my way towards the dirty blonde.

"Hi, sorry. Excuse me." I apologize to Caleb's table as my hand wraps around his thin wrist. I tug him gently towards the side behind a wall to block his view of who just stepped into the diner.

His face twists into a 'what the hell?' expression before throwing his hands up in the air, "what is wrong with you? I was taking an order."

"Marcus is here and he's looking for you."

Marcus is Caleb's current crush. I'll admit now that Caleb has great taste. He's quite tall, around 5'10 or so, cute floppy deep brown hair, deep green-blue eyes, and a silver nose ring. His naturally neat eyebrows compliment his sharp facial structure and his nice lips frame his kind smile.

I've only had a few conversations with him for some quick to-go orders. He seems like a really sweet guy but the only thing is, he's only been single for a month so Caleb is hesitant to even attempt to flirt with him.

Also because he has a fear of rejection.

"He— What? He's here?" Caleb's voice is now in panic as he tries to fix his hair. I wave his hands away from his already perfect hair and jerk my head to behind the wall. "How do I look?"

"Just be cool, alright? You look very cute. You got this." I smooth down his wrinkly work shirt a bit before holding up two enthusiastic thumbs up.

"Right. Okay. Just be cool." He mumbles to himself, nodding and shaking the nerves out of his hands.

"Uh... what're you guys doing?" A deep voice questions from behind the wall.

I freeze and slowly turn around to face Marcus' face, leaned forward with furrowed brows and crossed arms. I turn to Caleb with wide eyes and mouth 'go on'. He looks at me with an open mouth, struggling on what to say.