Sixteen

Harry Styles

After Jo and I's nail painting session, the brownies were done in the oven. We devoured the warm and soft chocolate delicacies. I wish I had my professional camera with me to capture how beautiful she looked when she was dancing to her favorite songs that came on while she held her hand underneath the brownie so that the crumbs wouldn't fall to the floor.

I could watch her for a lifetime. Her infectious smile, her adorable sways to the beat of the songs was all so mesmerizing.

Anyone could see that she radiates light.

We headed to bed soon after that, making sure to check on Lilia before we went to bed. As I stood in her shared bathroom, I couldn't help but watch her do her night routine like it was just her. I paid attention to every detail from the way she had to make sure the toothpaste was on the toothbrush before running the bristles underneath the sink water to her making sure to fix her hair into a bun so that it wouldn't get wet when she washed her face.

I pulled my eyes away from her, feeling a bit creepy and quickly cleaned my own teeth, not really having my own night routine. It was just 1. brush, 2. make sure there's no food stuck in my teeth and 3. off to bed.

That night I felt her shift in her sleep to cuddle her face into my neck, her leg throwing itself over my own. I used to sleep on my stomach before I began sleeping with Jo but I threw that old habit in an instant when I felt her soft, content sigh into the crook of my neck as she put her hand on my clothed chest.

The little bit of moonlight coming from the window highlighted every little feature on her face. I couldn't stop staring at the way her eyes moved underneath her lids.

I wondered what she dreamed about.

Before falling asleep myself, I make sure to wrap an arm around her waist to make sure she's comfortable and place a soft kiss into her hair, whispering, "sweet dreams, sunflower."

It was now the next morning and I was woken up by a loud ringing sound coming from my phone on her bedside table. I groan into the pillow and force my eyes open a smidge so that I could check to see who was calling me at 7 in the fucking morning.

My heart falls at the contact name.

Eva.

I look down at Jo who's shuffling in her sleep on top of me, letting out sounds of discomfort. I quickly turned off my ringer and set my phone back down onto the small wooden table, moving myself back to the position we were in. My arms engulf her, rubbing at the back of her head, pressing my cheek into her soft hair. I close my eyes as I try to shake off the fact that she's calling me.

"Who was it?" Jo's tired voice wonders aloud, her eyes still closed in her cozy arrangement.

Should I tell her? Would she get angry at me?

She's not Eva. She wouldn't get mad at you, moron.

I take in a deep breath, continuing to rub at the back of her head. It's on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't get it out. It hurts to say her name knowing how much she's caused me. Just seeing those three letters made every slap, every scratch, every punch return once again in my mind.

"Harry?" Jo asks me again, now picking her head from my chest. Her sleepy and puffy eyes from just waking up peer up at me with confusion mixed with concern.

I shake my head, pursing my lips as I look down at her. Her safe and comforting eyes. I could tell her.

"Eva. She was calling me," I forced out.