Eight

Jolie Kalea

The brisk spring air brushed past my cheeks as Harry and I made our way towards the ice cream shop across from the diner, the flickering, neon red 'open' sign lighting up our faces. My fingers grip onto the cold, metal door handle and open it for Harry to step in first. He gives me a quick nod of appreciation and passes me to step into the even more chilled room.

A young man, around Caleb's age, perks up at the sound of their bell ringing and flashes a perky smile. "Hi, what can I get for you two?"

"You go first." Harry speaks up, locking eyes with me, raising his hand the menu across the top of the wall behind the worker.

"No, you can go."

"I don't know what I want. Jo, you go. I'm paying so get whatever you want."

His emphasis on the paying made me chuckle as I scanned the menu for a split second before turning towards the teenage boy with deep brown hair and kind brown eyes.

"I would like a medium Oreo milkshake and a water." I nod as I end my order, turning toward Harry, brows raised. "Your turn, Curly."

"Can I have a large Chocolate shake, please?" I smile at the way he over pronounced the word chocolate. His deep voice and accent made it sound so nice and warm. Honestly, if I sounded that nice when I spoke, I would never shut up. 

The boy nods and taps on the screen in front of him. He informs us of the total and Harry pulls out the cash, telling the young man to keep the change. He thanks Harry and makes his way towards the back area to make the shakes.

I elbow his side to grab his attention. His head turns instantly at the jab as his brows furrowed in curiosity. I point towards the duo tables, hinting that we should sit down as we wait for them.

I rub over my tired eyes, letting out a yawn as I slump into the yellow-painted seat while the green-eyed angel sat on the blue one across from me. I groan as I lift my head, feeling physically drained from today.

"Are you alright?" His sincere tone fills my ears with comfort.

I really should be asking you that, I contemplate on saying, but I answer him with a weak nod of my head instead. I just wanted something to give me some sort of energy, whether it was an unhealthy amount of calories, sugar, or caffeine.

Drowsily locking eyes with him, I manage a response. "Just tired. Been up since 7 and I can't wait to go home and just lay in bed with my baby."

"You have a child?' Harry's eyes nearly bulge out of his head causing me to almost scream out an ugly laugh.

"Well, no. One day, though. I'm talking about my puppy, Otis.'' I hold my finger up as a 'wait a second' as I grab my phone out of my back pocket to show him my lockscreen of the little sweetie I call my 'son'.

His body leans forward to get a closer look at the 5-month-old dalmatian, his cross chain clinking with the silver surface of the round table. He cracks a smile on his thin lips, obviously in awe by Otis.

"Oh right, yeah. He's quite cute."

"He is my son so.." I joke, shrugging my shoulders shamelessly as I lean my chin into my palm.

"Yeah, he definitely gets it from his Mum."

I look down at my beaten to the pulp white Converse like they were as pretty as him. A deep fire rises to my cheeks at the compliment he had no shame in saying.

"Speaking of Mum's," I change the subject, rushing my baby hairs back. "Tell me about yours, Curly. I'm guessing she has to be pure perfection to raise an angel of a son."