Chapter 2 - Empty

Briar stepped onto the train, the smell of old furniture invaded her nostrils causing her nose to scrunch up slightly. A wave of children no older than 14 swarmed past her running to empty carriages. Briar made her way down the train and stopped when she saw an empty compartment. She contemplated trying to sit with someone but she could not make out anyone around her age, so she entered the empty carriage and took out an old book that she stowed away from the orphanage and began to read.

Not long too long after, the door slid open and a tall brunette looked at her in a disapproving manner, she had chocolate brown hair that was tied back into a bun with two front pieces left out that framed her face. She wore dark green robes and a badge dangled next to the emblem of a snake that read 'head girl', she radiated elegance. Briar looked down at her feet and saw a small black cat that sat there softly grooming itself.

"What are you doing here? This carriage is for the head boy and girl," she spoke with irritability.

"I'm sorry, I was never told, i'll leave," Briar replied.

"Wait you're the new girl? there was talk that Hogwarts let in a newbie, is it true you've never had any formal schooling? I'm Genevieve Black, head girl," she said, eyeing Briar up and down, judgement lingering in her gaze.

"Yes it's true. But if I was you, I'd be more careful with your words, you have no idea what I am capable of."

"Was that a threat? To the head girl?" Genevieve questioned.

"Do you feel threatened?" Briar asked, smugly. The brunette was angry, but before she had time to answer back the doors slid open once more.

Briar turned to face a tall boy that stood proudly. She thought that Genevieve radiated elegance but this boy put even her to shame. His jet black curls were styled and sat perfectly around his face, his cheekbones where high and jawline was sharper then freshly sharpened knives. He carried himself with such grace that if not for the 'Head boy' badge and youthful appearance, Briar may have mistaken him for a teacher. Their eyes locked and he raised an eyebrow at her.

"Well hello," he said in a charming tone, however despite his intimidating beauty Briar was unsure of the boy. His eyes were dark and consuming, he felt almost empty. "Where are your manners? Tom Riddle, pleased to meet you," he continued on waiting for a response as he held out his hand.

"Briar Emeralds," she said hesitantly, her eyes still not breaking gaze. Tom smiled as if he knew exactly who she was, and it made her uncomfortable.

"Well Emeralds, I doubt there would be any free carriages available now so you are welcome to stay if you must." He plastered on a charming smile but his white teeth did not cause her to fall to her feet, instead she gazed back into his eyes.

empty.

Briar sat back into the carriage and read her book, she watched as Riddle had his books and notes spread out, frantically writing down things and turning pages rapidly, this boy clearly had a thirst for knowledge, or perhaps was it power? Knowledge was power after all, and those who strived for it were ultimately chasing glory.

Briar was not really sure if she'd encountered evil before, but there was no doubt in her mind that Tom Riddle was exactly that. She could sense the power Tom Riddle possessed, it was dark and reminded her of her own in a sense.

Briar's magic was dark but Tom's was catastrophic.

"It's quite improper to stare Emeralds, didn't they teach you manners at the orphanage?" he said sharply but it rolled off his tongue as though it was just friendly dialogue. Briar resisted the urge to hex him on the spot, maybe even kill him. The thought of seeing Tom's body ache in agony as her magic penetrated it, caused a slight smirk to tug at the side of her lips.