Chapter 10 - Hogsmeade

Briar sat on the couch in the common room twisting the rings on her fingers, she was supposed to be catching up on her studies but she couldn't seem to focus. Riddle's out of character actions had left her confused and a little bit scared honestly.

"Why aren't you dressed yet Emerald?" Aleks said as he climbed down the staircase.

Maybe because she didn't want to go. Today was the trip to Hogsmeade, and Briar could not think of anything worse than hanging out with people from her year level voluntarily.

"I don't think I want to come," Briar confessed to the boy who had now sat himself down next to her.

"Why not? It's your only chance to get a gown for the ball," he said. Briar had forgotten she agreed to be his date to the ball, it's not like she regretted saying yes, but she wished the ball wasn't a thing all together. But the faerie could not deny the fact that she needed a dress.

"I suppose you're right, I'll get dressed," she spoke softly, Avery could tell that she was not excited and a part of him was a little hurt. You're manipulating her for your psycho friend, you have no right to be upset, he thought to himself.

Briar headed up to her dorm, she looked at her wardrobe and frowned, for a girl from a wealthy family which she claimed to be pureblood, her clothing was lacklustre compared to the other Slytherin girls she had seen waiting in the common room. She found a plain black sweater and a beige skirt, she paired the simple items of clothing with some black tights and boots and attempted to dress up her outfit with some family heirlooms; necklaces, rings, bracelets. She hoped it would be enough so she didn't look a fraud to her fellow Slytherins.

"Where is everyone?" Briar asked as she walked back down to the common room, it was almost completely empty, except for Casper sitting at a desk deep into his studies.

"Gone, Avery told me to tell you he will be waiting outside for you," he said softly without looking up. He continued to study.

"You're not coming?" Briar asked with a slight frown on her face.

"No, I need to finish this assignment, shopping for a pointless ball is a waste of time," he said. But Briar could tell the boy looked sad. "I don't get why this ball gets everyone so worked up, to find the perfect outfit, have the perfect hair..the perfect date." Casper said almost in a tone of disgust.

"The thought of going to a ball with a pretty girl doesn't excite you?" Briar asked, a smirk tugging at her lips.

"No, not a girl at least," he mumbled and then closed his eye tightly in frustration like he regretted what had just left his mouth. Briar didn't say anything, she didn't want to make a big deal.

"Well, that's unfortunate, Casper," she said. "Your presence will be missed." The boy scoffed.

"Unlikely," he replied. "Go before he leaves without you."

"Goodbye Casper," she said as she made her way out of the common room. She felt sorry for the boy. He was cold and calculating at times, yes. But he didn't really seem to fit in amongst the bold and rowdy boys that made up Tom Riddle's gang.

Briar tracked down the muddy hill until she saw Aleks standing there waiting for her. He looked so handsome in his wool jumper and freshly pressed pants. His hair was too long to be styled like the other boys in his gang but it was still neat. Briar eyed the boy up and down as she approached, his beauty resembled that of a Rococo painting she thought. The other boys were standing a little bit away. They watched as Briar and Aleks' lips met lightly.

"You look beautiful," he whispered in her ear which caused a light blush tone to fall over her cheeks. He wrapped his arm around her and they walked and met the group of boys.