Chapter 17 - Diagon Alley

It was a cold morning, colder than usual. The frost on the windows of the dorm was a good indicator of the chill that awaited her outside. Briar dressed warmly and headed down the stairs to meet Tom.

"Ready?" he spoke as she approached him. He was dressed in neatly pressed black pants, a white shirt and a black cloak. He looked so much older out of his uniform, and with the black cloak it made him resemble someone of great authority at the ministry.

"No breakfast?" Briar asked.

"No time, we must leave now." He walked swiftly towards the door. Briar followed him.

____

"Stay with me at all times Emeralds, do not wander off," he said as they tracked through the snow and approached Hogsmeade.

"Are you going to tell me what we're doing?" Briar asked.

"Not yet," was all the boy replied as they walked towards all the shops. "In here," he said grabbing her wrist and pulling her into The Three Broomsticks.

"If you wanted a date with me all you needed to do was ask Riddle," Briar joked.

"Not funny. Come here," he demanded pulling her through to the fireplace. "Take some floo powder, we're going to Diagon Alley."

"What why? I thought you said we were going to Hogsmeade."

"Yes to use the floo network, our business for today is in Diagon Alley."

"So you lied to me?" she asked.

"No, we're at Hogsmeade aren't we? Telling you half the truth is not the same as lying." And with a drop of the dusty powder he spoke "Diagon Alley," and the green flames swallowed him. Briar sighed loudly, she had no idea what she was getting herself into. The green flames grew and when she opened her eyes, she was in the Leaky Cauldron.

She dusted her clothes and stepped out of the fireplace, Tom stood there eyeing her, as elegant as ever.

She tracked after him as the walked to the outskirts of the shops. "Why are we leaving the main area? Isn't that where you needed to be?" she asked.

"Do you always ask so many questions Emeralds? Be quiet and keep your wand handy." He was walking with caution now. Briar began to feel slightly worried.

He stopped behind a tree and urged her to stop behind him. They peered around and watched. Briar was close to him. She could smell the cinnamon and mahogany in his hair, and his dark eyes absorbed the little light around them. She had been quite distracted by the boys beauty that she hadn't seen the two men who were walking in the snow, or more like lurking.

They were older, and both dressed in suits and had sinister smiles on their faces. "Who are they?" Briar asked.

"For Merlins sake Emeralds, shut it." Tom demanded, but the two men had already heard.

Their heads turned towards Tom and Briar, "Look Sean, we've found ourselves a couple o' lurkers," one of them snickered.

"Well you've done it now Emeralds, get ready," Tom spoke before he stepped out from behind the tree and began to throw magic at the pair.

They fought back, sending sparks flying out of their wand. It was interesting to watch, Briar was still stationed behind the tree. She considered just making an exit and leaving Tom to fend for himself. He was handling the battle quite well. Tom was a talented wizard, you'd be a fool to deny it. His talent and abilities outdid most of his teachers, and even put some of Dumbledore's magic to shame. She wouldn't go as far as to say he was a match for Dumbledore, but to be so talented at such a young age made her believe that he could be.