Chapter 40 - Answers and Ambush

Her arm still ached where the dark ink moved under her skin. Tom assured her the pain would only be temporary. But she was beginning to doubt his words.

"Don't rub it!" He smacked her other arm. "You will draw attention to it."

"How do you know it actually works?" she asked as they sat at the table, eating their breakfast.

"Are you questioning my abilities little faerie?" he said, sarcastically. She raised both of her brows and took a bite of toast.

Briar's eyes wandered to the entrance of hall, where she saw two men walk in together. Casper and Julian. She dropped everything and ran to them. Throwing both her arms around them in glee. "Ugh! I missed you guys!" However, despite her cheerful demeanour, both boys looked slightly miserable. "What's wrong?" she asked as she lead them back towards the table.

"It's fine Briar," Casper said, putting a hand on her shoulder. "You have jam on your lip." He reached down for a napkin and wiped it off. Tom rolled his eyes.

"Ah, Rosier. When I requested your presence you were aware that invitation applied only to you," Tom said, eyeing Julian up and down.

"Be nice!" Briar said, giving him a pair of harsh eyes.

"Lovely to see you too Riddle," Julian said overly joyous, sarcasm evident in his tone.

"So, tell me about your holidays," Briar said.

The pair exchanged a look. Julian looked down at his lap. "My family found out about Potter. They threatened to turn me in to the muggle police for homosexual acts."

Briar's mouth hung open. "But you're not a muggle. Us magic folk have no such laws implemented."

"Yes but the Rosier family are apparently still extremely homophobic. They said if I have not found a bride by the end of school, they'll report me." Julian rubbed his boyfriends arm.

"That's bullshit!" Briar screamed.

"Language Briar," Tom said smiling at the professor's table as they watched the four students.

"I've been staying at the Potter's," Casper continued on. "I have no idea what comes next. I'll probably be in a muggle prison in a few months, so I guess I better eat up!" He laughed, grabbing a piece of toast covered in jam from Briar's plate. Julian did not think the joke was funny.

"I'll do it," Briar said.

"What?" Casper asked.

"I'll marry you. We can live together like we've planned. Julian can live with us too and you can be together."

"You will do no such thing!" Tom said.

She scoffed. "Why not?"

Tom shut his eyes. "You know why Briar."

"You feel like proposing anytime soon?" she asked him. He gave no response. "I thought not. It'll be a false marriage. You can still be with me." Her fingers interlocked with his. He pulled his hand away from her.

"But I won't be able to 'be with you' Briar. We'll be a secret."

"Are you telling me the great Tom Riddle wants to 'be with' a girl? Openly?" Julian said. "Casper are you sure we haven't shifted into an alternate universe?"

"Shut it, Potter," Tom hissed.

"Think about it. Please," Briar said looking at the three of them. Casper and Julian nodded slowly. Tom stared deeply at Casper. No words or movements to indicate his emotions.