Chapter 23 - Truth or Dare?

Briar skipped breakfast. She wasn't hungry, but she was surprised when a house elf entered her room to inform her that Tom requested her presence at a meeting in the lounge area. Now that she had agreed to let Tom help her, she was required to attend these mandatory meetings that Aleks was always running off to.

"What's she doing here?" Lestrange asked as Briar stepped into the room. The others were already there, Casper, Aleks and even Abraxas was seated on the couch near the fire.

"My knights, i'd like you to meet our newest member," Tom said with a smirk.

"Her? Why her? She hates us," Abraxas said with irritability.

"Not to mention she's tight with Dumbledore, Riddle you are making a huge mistake," Aleks expressed.

"Enough. You all know me well enough to not question my decisions. However Avery makes a fair point," Tom said agreeably.

"I do?" Aleks asked surprised.

"Briar, your regular meetings with Dumbledore will need to stop." She nodded her head. "When we arrive back at Hogwarts, I need people to accompany me to Hogsmeade to inspect some suspicious flowers I think may be linked to Grindelwald."

"You think?" Briar cut in, "I was the one who told you about them." The boys stared and waited for Tom's reaction. She wasn't aware yet of how things worked. Tom spoke, the rest of them shut up and agreed. There was no room for their opinions or thoughts.

"Watch your tongue Emeralds," he hissed. "You don't speak to your leader that way." Briar scrunched up her face, what cult had she just joined?

The meeting went on for a bit longer before Tom dismissed them all. "Not you Emeralds, come here." The other exchanged looks as they exited the room. When they shut the door behind them Tom spoke. "If you're wondering, none of them know. The only ones who do at this stage are Casper and myself."

"Will it stay that way?" she asked.

"Depends, do you want it to? Soon they will start to ask questions and if you want their help in protecting you, they'll want answers."

"They can know," she said. "But not yet. I will tell them when I am ready."

"Very well. Oh and Emeralds," he said.

"Yes?"

"You will address me as 'My Lord'." Briar struggled to contain her laughter. He looked at her with piercing eyes.

"I will do no such thing, that's ridiculous," she scoffed.

"If you fail to abide by my rules, then I'll just starting preparing the flyers to distribute around Hogwarts. 'Briar Emeralds, she hates broomsticks but loves her set of wings'," he mocked.

"I would of thought you could come up with a more creative tag line," she smiled sarcastically. "But fine, I will do as you say, My Lord." 

____

Lunch was served and they all sat around the table, Aleks' parents were out on business for the rest of the holidays so they had the manor to themselves until they returned to Hogwarts.
Briar sat down the end of the table. "Where have you been all holidays Malfoy?" Lestrange asked.

"I've been busy," was all he replied.

"Busy doing what? Or should I say who?" Lestrange laughed.

"I met someone," Abraxas said honestly.

"Merlin! Who?" Aleks asked.