Chapter 46 - Perfect Wings

The Final Chapter

"It's time Tom." Briar brushed her hair in the mirror. She could see Tom's figure watching her in the reflection.

"For what?" he asked.

"To end this all." She turned to face him.

"You have the Fae stone?" he asked. With a breath she nodded. "Where was it?"

"Some place close to me all along." Her heart broke with every syllable that escaped her lips. "He's coming. I can feel it. He'll be back for blood soon."

Tom said nothing. He continued to watch her. For a moment she thought he may know the truth, but if he did he wouldn't be acting like this. "We can't just up and leave, Briar." He finally spoke. "Right now you should be focusing on your NEWTS. They're only a week away. After that, we'll go and finish everything."

NEWTS. How on earth could she focus on them? And why were they his top priority? Briar was in no mood to argue. She didn't want it to stay as one of their last memories. She nodded her head silently.

One week later

"Briar, to what do I owe the pleasure?" Albus had a warm smile on his face.

Briar wasted no time with greetings. "Is there anything you can do? Anything at all?" She was begging. It took everything in her not to fall at the man's feet.

He placed a hand on her shoulder and blinked softly. "I cannot change fate Briar, and neither can you."

"No! That's not good enough! You cannot leave me to die!"

"This is not my fault." He shook his head. "If there's anything I could do, I would. But there is nothing."

"Can it not wait?" A tear ran down her cheek."Can it not be delayed enough time to experience a happy life?"

He looked at her with pity in his eyes. "You would be running from him for years until you decided to end this. That is not a happy life, Briar."

"It's not fair!" she yelled.

"Life is not always fair. You've delayed it long enough waiting an extra week since you have known. It's time you except your fate."

Briar patted her nose with a handkerchief. She looked up at him with the same look that consumed Delia the other night. "My parents were right about wizards. I hope when I'm dead you feel my presence watching over you every moment of every day, reminding you of this moment."

"It will be a lot easier if you accept it, Briar. The pain will only make it harder, not just for you, but for him as well." Of course he was referring to Tom. She wanted to comment on the professor's new found ability to understand the boy cares for her.

"He gets it all, do you hear me? My money, my properties, my belongings. It all goes to him."

Dumbledore scoffed. "You may want to take some time to think about that Miss Emeralds."

Briar gazed out his office window. She wasn't blinking. "It appears we've run out of time."

He joined her at the window to see him. Grindelwald. Standing on the bridge to the castle. He opened his arms as if he could see the pair watching him.