Chapter 32 - Blue Flames

"My Knights, please welcome Miss Black," Tom said introducing Genevieve to the group as she revealed herself from behind a cupboard in the room of requirement.

Briar would be lying if she said her stomach didn't drop a little bit. Why Genevieve? What was Tom playing at? Or maybe she was just being jealous? Having another girl join them, standing so close to Tom, in the position she stood in back at Avery Manor. Did she feel replaced?

The boys didn't even question it like they had done with Briar. They protested against her joining them, but welcomed Genevieve with open arms.

"I have something rather exciting planned for later, join me back here after dinner," Tom said with a mischievous smile. Casper and Briar exchanged a worrisome look. I guess they were about to find out what he had been planning.

The group began to exit the room after Tom had dismissed them. "Emeralds, we have to study." He meant study the stones of course. The group glanced at the pair one last time before finally exiting the room.

"Not here," she said sharply.

"What do you mean?"

"It's a beautiful day Riddle, we're not spending it cooped up in a dark room. Come with me," she said walking towards the door. "Bring your stuff."

She led him out of the castle and into the forest. "Briar! Why are we going into the forest? If we get caught-"

"We won't. I do this loads, keep walking." She led him deeper into the forest, to the parts where vines covered the stones and thestrals roamed freely. "In here," she said taking his hand in hers and brushing open the curtains of vines to her space.

"How did you find this place?" Tom asked, looking up and seeing how the shrubs and bushes enclosed it perfectly, how the light crept through the cracks and illuminated the grass. "Did you create this place using magic?"

"No. This was created by nature. Magical isn't it? Don't you find it funny that somewhere as beautiful and enchanting as this could be found in a muggle forest if you looked hard enough?" He gazed at her. "Nature is magic, and it's all around muggles. I don't think they're that much different to us really."

"Don't say that. They're dirty creatures," he hissed.

He wanted her to back down, but she didn't. "I don't think they are Tom. I think you're so clouded by prejudice you fail to see how incredibly kind they can be."

"Kind?" He laughed.

"Yes. Kind." She held his gaze before sitting herself down and opened up her notebook. "When will we leave for my old home?" she asked.

Slowly he joined her on the grass. "In the Easter holidays, a month away."

She smiled at his words. "My birthday's in the holidays."

"March?" he asked.

"Yes," she replied. "When's yours?"

"It's already been. It was December 31st."

"Why didn't you say anything! I never said happy birthday."

"Because I don't like to celebrate my ageing. All of the knights know not to bring it up."

They studied silently for a while, Briar had given up and lied down on her side to face him. "Tom?" she said his name.

"Yes?" he replied, still writing.

"Why'd you ask Genevieve to join the knights?" she asked outright.

He finally looked up from his page and smirked. "Jealous are we?"