Chapter 35 - Ruins

T/W: This chapter contains themes of violence and abuse. Read with caution please.

____

Cordelia sat at the head of the Greengrass' dining table. Marcus sat next next to her as they ate their dinner in silence. Delia placed down her fork and started to twist the gigantic ring on her finger. "How's school?" Marcus asked finally breaking the silence.

It wasn't like Marcus was unattractive. He had shoulder length brown hair that was slightly curled and pretty green eyes. His face was lightly covered in faint freckles. Any girl might consider herself lucky to be in his presence, he seemed perfect. That would be until he starting hitting them.

"It's fine," she finally replied after a pregnant pause.

"Cordelia, I know you are not fond of our arrangement but you really ought to start trying a bit harder. Why agree to this if you're not willing to give it a try?" He was clueless. Thankfully the news of her and Abraxas being spotted together last holidays hadn't spread to America.

"Why agree to this? Are you serious? You're acting as if my family gave me a choice."

"Do not raise your tone at me!" He held her wrist tightly, his nails began to sink deep into her skin.

"Let go of me! You're hurting me!" He dropped his grip.

"We both have reputations to uphold. Are you in love with another boy? Is that it?" She gave no reply. "Well, if that is the case I'd be more than happy to allow you to see him on the side, of course if you promise full discretion on the matters that occur behind these manor's walls." Of course he was referring to his tendencies to be violent. If word got out the Greengrass heir liked to hit his wife, his family among many others would be displeased to say the least.

"Oh yeah? And how will I explain the bruises and scratches when we attend events together?" She was expecting his face to redden with embarrassment, but it didn't. He remained as calm as ever when he spoke, not even looking at the witch.

"Magic can hide them." He sipped his wine.

That night, an owl visited her window at the Greengrass manor. Carrying a letter with a Malfoy wax seal. It read:

Dearest Cordelia,

I know I should not be writing you this letter. I know I should not have done many things. I put you in a terrible position Christmas night when I kissed you. I can't help but think it was the beginning of the end. The pain your eyes carried when you spoke of your engagement, how you did it all for me.
I do not want you to stay with Greengrass if you do not wish to. Let my parents believe what they want. I will make an excuse to hide it all. I want for you to be happy and free, but I'm afraid I cannot promise a future with you. I will never leave my family, I cannot. They mean everything to me, but I do not want for you to be trapped in a marriage for the sake of me.
In more straightforward terms: I cannot be with you. But there is no need for you to protect me. I know it's cowardice, but I guess that's all I've ever been.

Yours truly,
A.M

Cordelia scrunched the letter and set it on fire. She was engaged to the spawn of Satan. And the man she was doing it for had just told her he was through with her. She always followed her heart, and it always seemed to leave her hurting. What had she gotten herself into?

____

Briar woke to the feeling of Tom Riddle spooned against her back. He had his arm around her as he slept peacefully. Briar turned to face him. She observed the rise and fall of his chest as he continued to hold her with his bare arms. However, it didn't last long before he woke.