Chapter 26 - Investigating

It had been a whole school week since Tom saved her from expulsion. Every time she tried to find him to thank him, he'd walk off. Almost like he was ignoring her. After the first few days she had given up on trying to talk to him, she didn't want to push him or his patience.

Briar's friendships with the others were at an all time high. She had never had a strong friend group before, and she could not deny she was loving every second she spent with them. A part of her questioned whether it was healthy though. If something went wrong like it almost had and she was forced to leave, the bonds she'd formed with these boys would make it burn a thousand times harder.

Abraxas had invited her to study with him in the library, she agreed. She used to not care too much about school, but now she was committed to doing well, like all her friends were.

As she was walking to the library she bumped into Julian. "Briar! How were your holidays?" he asked eagerly.

"Eh, they had their highs and lows. Yours?"

"Mine were wonderful! Rosier stayed at my place for a few days. It was nice spending time together. But when his parents found out where he was they ordered him back immediately."

"That's a shame," she said in a disappointed tone.

"Where are you heading?" he asked.

"The library. Walk with me?" He nodded as they began to step in time with each other.

"Have you heard from Delia? Will she be back anytime soon?"

"No unfortunately, I haven't heard from her since last term. Riddle however is suggesting we replace her." He rolled his eyes.

"Not too fond of Riddle then?" Briar asked.

"Don't tell me you are? Merlin you're going to tell him what I said aren't you? My face is too pretty to be scared Briar," he said anxiously.

Briar chuckled, "It's fine Potter I won't say anything. I wouldn't say I'm fond of him but he's not as terrible as most people think."

"There's actually a rumour going around about you two," he said as he scratched his head.

"What rumour?!" she asked outraged.

"People are saying you got pretty cosy with him during the holidays. Apparently he took you on a date to Hogsmeade."

Briar snorted with laughter. "Trust me, it was nothing like that."

They reached the library and walked in to find Abraxas sitting at the table. "Malfoy," Julian said with a sour look on his face.

"Potter," he spat rather aggressively, placing heaving emphasis on the p sound.

"You're welcome to join us Julian!" Briar said.

"No he is not," Abraxas said clearly.

"Well considering you don't want me here, I'm going to stay. I have some herbology homework to do," Julian said as he sat down beside Briar and took out his books.

"You don't have more mudbloods to make friends with and help tarnish your reputation?" Abraxas asked sarcastically.

Julian smiled, "My family doesn't care who I make friends with Malfoy."

"Clearly," Abraxas said with disgust.

"Why can't you two get along?" Briar asked.

"I'll get along with him when he gets his bloodtraitor paws off of Rosier," Abraxas said. "He's too good for a Potter."