Chapter 36 - Holy

The pair returned downstairs and continued their hunt together. After turning out the entire bottom floor of the castle and still finding nothing, they began to feel defeated.

"We've been hunting for hours Tom, it'll be dark soon," Briar said tossing another box over her shoulder. "I don't think it's here."

"I'm beginning to agree with you. Let's check the upstairs tower one more time, then we'll make our way over to your house." Briar stiffened. With all the hunting, she'd forgot they'd still need to check her house for any stones or possible clues.

The breeze from the tower had picked up, it was slightly cooler causing Briar to put her cloak back on over her clothes. "There's nothing up here," she said kicking some rough stones across the ground.

"Briar!" Tom said frantically. "Help me move the rubble off of this." He started to brush and removing the trees and vines off of the large stone table in the centre.

"Why?"

"Just do it." She joined him. She used her wand to clear the vines and other greenery that engulfed the table whilst Tom moved some rocks and pieces of wood. "Look," he said as he revealed something spectacular. It was a large plate in the shape of a pentacle. And at each corner of the pentacle, there were four gaps, the size of four small stones. In the centre of the pentacle there was also a gap.

"Five places, five stones," Briar said running her finger into the indents in the stone. "This must be where they were kept."

"Do you have the stones on you?" he asked. She removed a silk black pouch from her pocket that contained the three stones she had collected. She handed them to the boy who began to place them in the holes where they fitted. Light beams shot through, illuminating the pentacle, connecting each line of the Star together. "Give me the one on your wand."

"What? No! I need my wand, it'll break if I rip it off."

"We don't know that."

"I'm not willing to take the chance Riddle. We still do not have the fae stone which I assume belongs in the middle. I'm not potentially breaking my wand to finish off this piece of magic that we don't even have all the parts to yet."

"Fine." He removed the stones from the plate and the glow subsided. He handed them back to her.

"Why are you angry?" she asked.

"Because you're not doing everything we can." He leant against the table supporting his body weight with his arms.

"What do you mean I'm not doing everything? Riddle I'm sacrificing everything! I didn't ask for this." Her voice was raised but she still was not yelling.

"Time is running out Briar, he is hunting you."

"So that's what this is about? You're scared for me?"

"I do not get scared," he spat.

"You're worried then?" He did not reply. "God damn it Tom talk to me! Why is it so hard for you just to communicate your feelings!" She was yelling now.

He still was saying nothing. He breathed heavily and shut his eyes. "I'm done here," she said turning to walk away down the stairs.

"Wait." He caught her hand. "I am worried okay. Because for the first time in my life I don't want to be alone. I want you by my side, Merlin knows why. You're annoying, needy and rude. But for some disgusting reason I have found myself liking all those things about you." She stared it him. "What?" he asked agitated.

"Was that supposed to be romantic? You just told me all the things you hate about me and you expect me to run into your arms? I am damaged Riddle but I am not damaged enough to settle for that." She went to walk away once more.