ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 2: 1986

The boys were all sitting in the common room on a Saturday night, Theo and Blaise playing Wizard Chess while Draco fixed his tie. Theo was watching the board carefully as Blaise took his turn.

"Checkmate." Blaise says as he looks up from the board.

"Bullshit." Theo huffs running his hands through his already messy hair.

"Is not, you were watching the whole time." Blaise argued.

"Draco, you have to agree with me. He wins every time. It's-"

"No offense Theo but...you're dog shit at chess." Draco cuts him off before heading to the door.

"Where are you going? Winning over and over and over and over again gets tiring." Blaise sighed.

"We get it." Theo rolled his eyes.

"Gotta do rounds, i'll be back, don't wait up for me." Draco then left the common room.

Theo mumbles something to himself before moving his chess piece. Blaise looks at Theo and then at the board and at Theo again.

"Your turn." Theo pouted, not meeting Blaise's eyes. Blaise looks down at the board, and moves his piece.

"Check" Blaise looks up from the board and at Theo. "mate." Blaise smiles and sets up the board again.

Theo huffs and gets off his chair heading towards the dorms.

"Another round?" Blaise turns around to look at Theo with a smirk.

"Fuck off?"

*

Theo was in the Nott Manor when he heard something in the kitchen.

"HOW COULD YOU EVEN SAY SUCH A THING!" The voice of his mother yelled.

"Oh don't look at me like that!" His father yelled back.

Theo slowly made his way to his bedroom door and pressed his ear against it. The sounds were a bit muffled but he could still hear his mother's voice, frail, weak, yet stern.

"YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT!" His mother cried.

"Oh? Oh I don't? Really Delphini, I don't?" Theo's father was getting angrier.

"NO! NO YOU DON'T!" Delphini continued.

Theo opened his bedroom door and ran down to where his parents were, in the kitchen. He peaked around the corner of the hallway, trying to be as stealthy as he could.

"Theo?" His mom said gently.

Theo hid behind a lamp, even though his mom had already seen him.

"Theodore. Come out." His father said in a gruff voice.

Theo slowly got out of his place from behind the yellow lamp. He walked over to his mom, and she looked down at him. He noticed that she had been crying because of her red eyes and the dried trail of  tears on her face. She pulled him in for a hug and he clung onto her silk light blue robe. He didn't know why he started to cry, but he did.

"Theodore." His father said from behind him.

Theo slowly let go of his mother and turned around to see his father's furious face.

"I said, Theodore." He repeated.

"Y-yes father?" Theo corrected his posture.

"Go get your pet." Theo was quite confused with this request but he obeyed and dragged his feet back to his room to get his pet lizard.

Theo woke up with a pounding headache. He looked around the room he was in and noticed the satin curtains and the cotton blanket, then the dark brown desks and the snoring that was coming from the other side of the room. My dorm Theo told himself. Just a dream Theo said to himself again. He looked at his side table and focused his eyes on the small alarm clock. 4:46 a.m. Theo rubbed his eyes and got off of his bed as quietly as he could and tip-toed to the door. The door squeaked making Theo curse under his breath.

Once he got to the common room he saw a candle light coming from behind the couch. He slowly made his way over to the couch and leaned over it. To his surprise he was met with yelling.

"STEALING FROM KIDS?! HERA ARE YOU KIDDING?! Don't answer that. BUT YOU STOLE MONEY?! FIRST FAILING YOUR CLASSES THEN DETENTIONS AND NOW STEALING OTHER PEOPLES PROPERTY?! I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU! TED AND I ARE SO DISAPPOINTED! YOU WAIT UNTIL CHRISTMAS." And then the yelling stopped and it was silent again.

"Mh" Theo made a small noise and Hera's head whipped back and looked up at him.

"Are you mad?! Eavesdropping on someone! You could've given someone a heart attack!" Hera whisper yelled at Theo.

She got up from her spot on the ground and made her way over to him. He sat correctly on the couch and watched as she put her candle on the side table before standing in front of him.

At first no one spoke, but Theo tilted his head and Hera raised an eyebrow.

"How'd you get yourself a howler?" Theo smirked at Hera.

"How'd you get yourself that scar?" Hera pointed at a long scar that ran down from the right side of his neck, down onto his collarbone.

Theo realized that without his robe and collared shirt it was just a little visible out of the top of his plain white t-shirt. Theo got up from his spot on the couch, pushing past Hera, and walked back over to the dorm entrance.

"Ah. It seems like i've struck a nerve." Hera said sounding accomplished.

Theo turned around and walked toward her, he felt angrier then he would have if he hadn't just had a dream about his idiot father, the one who gave him that scar.

Theo walked right up to Hera and looked down at her. She didn't move and stayed planted in her spot as he pointed a finger at her.

"Stay out of it." Theo said through gritted teeth.

Hera didn't look the slightest bit scared or even fazed, she just turned around and flopped onto the couch.

"The last time i checked, you were eavesdropping on my howler." Hera took the candle from the side table and started to swipe her finger over the small flame.

"That's different. You put a silencing charm around you and i just so happened to get close enough to hear it." Theo tried calming himself down, he didn't want to lose his temper, and especially not over a stupid remark made by Hera.

"Na-aw-ah, it's the same thing. I just so happened to get close enough to you to see that scar." Hera looked up from the candle and held eye contact with Theo.

Theo couldn't really argue with that so he just turned around and walked up the stairs to his dorm.

"Sod off Voss."