Chapter 6

The next morning...

Lancelot was preparing himself to go, checking if he missed something, even if he doesn't have a lot.

"You're ready already? It's still dark outside." Nimue, the lady of the lake, said as she saw her adopted son already awake, putting on his beloved armor.

Lancelot looked at her as he put his helmet. "I don't want to be late..." He checked his room for the third time.

Nimue smiled a bit, knowing perfectly her son's behavior. "You're stressing out."

"No, I'm not..." The black hedgehog sighed a bit. "I'm a little nervous but I'm not stressing out..."

"I know you pretty well, now sit down for a bit." The lady of the lake motioned him to sit down on his bed next to her. Lancelot sighed again but did as she wanted and she started to massage his shoulders gently.

"You're insecure again, you don't act like that when you're outside the house..." The female hedgehog said, massaging his tense shoulders.

"Because outside I'm a knight, I feel different with my armor and this..." Lancelot looked at his sword, Arondight, that his adopted mother gave him when he started training. "I am nothing without this..."

Nimue looked at him, stopping her massage. "Don't say that. You have a lot of qualities, you don't need this to be better." She was a bit worried about her son, he always saw himself as weak, and pathetic. But she know that he was strong, he just needed to believe in himself. He hide who he is when he gets out of home.

Lancelot shook his head as he got up. "I should go, I don't want to be late..." He gently hugged his mother. "I will come whenever I can, I promise."

The lady of the lake smiled and hugged her son back. "I know you will. I'll watch over you, be safe, my son..."

The black hedgehog nodded and took his belongings with his sword and walked outside, to the castle...

----------------------------------------

Lancelot walked inside the castle, with two guard escorting him to the throne room.

"The king will be here shortly." One of the guard said before taking his leave with the other one.

Lancelot looked around for a bit, until the king came and saw him.

"You're already here? Very good then." The king, Jules, said when he saw the black hedgehog wanting for him.

Lancelot bowed to the king. "I can't be late for this, your highness."

The king nodded. "Follow me." He ordered and started walking.

The black hedgehog followed his king without saying a word.

"Your name is Lancelot, right?" The king, Jules, asked while they walked, just to start a conversation.

"Yes, my king." Lancelot answered, following his king out of obedience.

"I have to admit that I was impressed yesterday, you have perfect swordmanship for your age. I'm not here to judge, it's really good to have good knights coming from my kingdom."

"I just started training at an early age..." The black knight said just before they heard a loud thumb, followed by a brief curse, before seeing Arthur 'Sonic' Hedgehog, the prince standing there in front of his father.

"Sorry father, I took more time than usual to prepare myself."

The king sighed at his son. "This arrival could be more princely... But I'll let it pass for today, and for your curse you will show your bodyguard the castle, and where he will live. Understood?"

Sonic nodded, trying to be more 'princely' like his father wants and to not upset him further. "I understand, father. And I'll do it." He looked at the black hedgehog. "I'll show you around."

Lancelot nodded and followed his prince.

----------------------------------------

As the king walked away to take care of his other duties, the prince sighed in relief and smiled at his new bodyguard.

"That was close... So, your name is... Lancelot, right?"

"Yes, my prince." Lancelot bowed with respect.

"No need to be so formal with me." Sonic said, dismissing him. Lancelot was a bit confused.

"Just call me Sonic. I prefer this than my actual name."

The black hedgehog looked at him. "As you wish, Sonic."

Sonic smiled. "Now relax and follow me."

Lancelot nodded and the two hedgehog walked around the castle.
Sonic showed him the ballroom, that will be full of people tonight, the garden, the knight's training ground, the royal kitchen, and so on.

---------------------------------------

"I didn't know that tonight there was something planned..." Lancelot said a little unsure, parties was not his things...

"It's just for my birthday, my parents like to invite all the rich snob of the kingdom, especially my mother..." The young prince grumbled with a pout, a feature not befitting for a prince, but he couldn't care less.

"Oh, I see..." The black hedgehog was becoming more nervous, he prefered to stay away from most of the rich snob.

"Don't worry, I will not stay there for long. Like that we will be able to know each other better, to talk, and all that."

Lancelot was a little surprised, and confused. The prince wanted to know him? It was ridiculous... He was just a knight, nothing else... "But... Why?.."

Sonic smiled. "Because I want to know you. We can be friend, not just a prince and a knight."

It didn't help Lancelot, he was even more confused. "But I am just a knight, nothing more..."

The blue prince just openned his mouth to answer but he was interrupted by a servant.

"I'm sorry to interrupts you, my prince, but your mother asked for you."

"Tell her that I'm coming." Sonic said to the servant, hiding the fact that he was bothered by the interruption. He then looked back at his knight. "I'll see you tonight, Lance." He winked and walked away, making Lancelot confused.

"... Lance?.." The black hedgehog asked to nobody in particular.
'... Why?..' He thoughts, completely confused.

~~~~~~~~~

Here's another chap! Votes and Comments if you like it. ^^