c h a p t e r 2

Dax broke the silence before I could.

''We finally got words from Pavrax.''

We were sitting in silence for a while now and this was something I have waited for, for over 6 months.

''What is it? Is she coming? Can we finally discuss now what will happen to us?'' I felt somewhat hopeful but Dax knocked that down immediately.

''I am afraid not, it was very bad news. Not only is Mia staying in Pavrax. But you know that a few weeks ago Jayden was sent away to the white royals? Well turns out that the message about an attack was right. Jayden was sent to investigate but we got another message about that. He was killed a couple of days ago. The Council has called for an emergency gathering with both Pandora of the White Royals and the Beta of the South Whisker pack.''

I was speechless when I heard the news. Not only was one of our friends dead but two of the strongest warriors we know about will be at the same council meeting.

''Mighty moon goddess?! This is not what I was thinking. How is Jay even dead?'' It felt like a part of me was ripped away. I held my hand over my mouth, tears running down my cheeks. I felt angry. This wasn't fair. I should have taken Jayden's place. Like I told Nemesis when we first heard about the news. Dax hugged me.

''I know it is a lot to take in. But Nemesis has called all the knights back to the tower. That is why I came to get you.''

I looked at Dax nodding that I understood but I could not get another word out. Even Dax had watery eyes but tried to stay strong. Jayden was one of the knights we grew up with. He kept us updated about Mia and the others who stayed in Pavrax. We all knew at the very beginning of our training that someday or other people are getting killed sometimes for no reason at all. Losing people you know your whole life was not getting easier. This was our reminder that we lived in a very cruel world and that we should cherish life as we know it.

''I can't believe he's gone,'' I whispered.

''I know. I know.'' Dax who was still hugging me. He put his chin on my head. We stayed there for a few minutes. ''We have to go.'' He said. I gave him a small nod as I wiped away my tears. '' I know. Let's get going, Dax''

We made a long way flying down the cliff. The wind blew through my hair as I felt the magic run through my veins. My markings lit up for a second before opening my wings and drifting into the upwind from a nosedive. The last rays of the sun made Menos look beautiful. Although it was a dangerous city, this was certainly something beautiful to see. My mind swirled with memories of Jayden. His favorite thing was to fly with Enora, Dax, and me. We always went out in the evening right before the sun would set and do the patrol together. I felt pained in my heart about the loss of one of my best friends. I didn't like it that emotions could control me like this and so I pushed away the memories. Locking them away. My eyes were stern as we continued our flight.

We flew over the houses, each built of decorated metal. I stared at Dax who was flying a little beneath me. His red markings glowed almost automatically in the evening sun. His back muscles flexed now and then when his wings carried him. His arms were also flexed going all the way up to his neck. He looked stressed out but he wasn't the only one. We all know why knights were trained. To either prevent or fight a war. Nemesis fought in one war but that was over a decade ago. Nemesis had talked about it a few months ago. How fires terrorized the packs and clans near the border between the White Royal clan and the South Whisker pack. Nobody seemed to figure out what was happening the past few months. Until we heard from someone inside the clan that the lions were planning an attack. I had asked Nemesis if I could go and figure it out. But Nemesis wanted to keep his eyes on me so he let Jayden go. I signed. This was over 7 months ago.