c h a p t e r 1

I breathe in once, as I slipped out of my bedroom, I felt my heart pounding in my chest. I had to be as quiet as possible if I didn't want to be caught. I knew that the patrolling group would be on the lookout. Not for me of course. I should be on the patrol. I just didn't go, so I had to be extra careful. I closed the door as quietly as I could.

I tiptoed down the hallway, barely daring to breathe. Every creak of the floorboards sounded like an explosion in the silent Tower. I paused at the top of the stairs, straining to hear any sounds of movement from below. When I was satisfied that the coast was clear, I crept down the stairs, my bare feet making no sound on the carpet.

I was supposed to go on patrol at sunrise. Well, hence the word supposed...It was Nemesis who wanted me on those patrols when I told him many times that I didn't want to go. I was beyond annoyed that someone told me what to do over and over again. The past few weeks I sneaked away to the market or the high cliffs from Menos, there I could watch the sunrise. There it was quiet and nobody to boss me around. I was about to slip away to the entrance when I bumped into a hard chest.

''My Moongodess what the...'' I rubbed my hand over my forehead. Auch that hurt. I looked up at the person I bumped into. Nemesis. The man I did not want to bump into as I would sneak away. He stood tall and proud in the shadow. His armor shining ever so lightly in the morning light. He creaked his head to the side. Raising an eyebrow in the process.

''Last time I remembered, you had to leave about 10 minutes ago with the patrol?'' ''Well...'' I started, trying to find a good excuse. Nemesis was never in the tower. He was always at the early council meetings, so he would not know about me sneaking away or skipping border patrols.

''Walk with me.'' He said before I could answer him. I walked behind him, I was caught up in my thoughts. Someone snitched on me, of course, they did, I was not nice either but snitching? Really? That is low. As if Nemesis could read my mind he said;

''Yes someone talked to me, but you have a duty, when you don't do them then there are consequences.'' I snorted.

''Nemesis, you know how I think about it. Honestly, I could care less about it.'' I reacted casually but Nemesis stopped walking when I responded.

''It is not the way Nova, there are rules and as long as you are a knight you have the follow them!'' Nemesis turned around to face me.

''These patrols, and everything else. We do them to have peace. Keep the people safe.''

I stared at Nemesis my face blank, we had this discussion over and over again. He knew that I did what I wanted anyways but somehow Nemesis still had control and he knew that I hated that, that I hated everything the knights practically stand for. The only reason he had some control was because I didn't want to disappoint Mia. But sooner or later even that won't matter.

''And what do you want from me exactly? It doesn't matter if I'm patrolling with the rest, one person can't make a difference, they can do it without me too. So why would I be here anyways?'' Nemesis's expression turned from angry to disappointed fast.

''Is it that simple?'' He asked, he looked defeated by the conversation. I barely showed any emotions these days. Time was passing by at a quick pace and we were growing all apart fast.

''We had this conversation way too many times Nemesis. I didn't ask to be here, and if it wasn't for the rules of Pavrax I would not even exist.'' I stared at Nemesis. For a second the world stood still. I knew that I had trouble later, like always but it was only a matter of time before I would leave. I started walking past Nemesis and to the entrance of the tower. He knew that he couldn't stop me. And so he let me go.