c h a p t e r 8

''Not to be rude, but isn't it better for everyone that the demon wolf is kept at bay in the prison?'' Dax asked. Nemesis started at the grass, totally not responding to Dax. ''I know we have our questions, and we have a right to question what the council is up to but right now is not the time. We need this contract back in Menos as soon as possible.'' Said Nemesis when his gaze switched back to ours.

''I just have one more question. Who is Cadoc?'' I asked Nemesis. Nemesis let out an annoyed gruff.

''Cadoc is the younger brother of Darcio and wasn't supposed to be Beta. He was supposed to be...'' Nemesis stopped mid-sentence when a scream came from the woods. All three of us turned around.

''Who was that?'' Dax said looking at me worried. I knew what he was thinking. A fight might be on his way.

''I'm going to be clear while we still have time to talk. Whatever happens, go through Pavrax. Alert Mia about everything and then head back to Nakoa.'' Nemesis said his body turned around looking at the direction the scream came from.

''Wait, What? What are you talking about?''

''I am giving you instructions in case something happens to either of us. Whatever you do, do not return the way we came. Jade of Hallow will be alerted and will think we come back. We do not want anyone to interfere.''

You will be clear from the magic up in the sky.''

The information that Nemesis threw at us wasn't of any use. My heartbeat sped up and all I could think about was the fight that was near us when the patrol came back. The paw steps made it very clear that they were in a hurry.

''Avoid contact with anyone, do not go to the basis' and stay out of...''

"Are you done talking because something is coming!" I yelled.

Nothing that Nemesis told us made sense at this moment. Dax spread his wings ready the fly away. I took a fighting stance, my hands ready to fire my magic. I felt the magic pump through my veins as the tattoos on my arm and shoulder started to light up. Nemesis kept his gaze on the high grass. This was it. The wolves came back ready to tear us apart.

I held my breath when Cadoc's wolf showed his head. His yellow eyes turned green and I released my breath when the other wolf came through. No one made a move. Cadoc lowered his head. A clear sign that there was no misunderstanding and that everything was good. That was until one of the patrol wolves came through with a lynx in his mouth. The lynx looked quite small between the giant wolves and was kept still with teeth on her neck.

The lynx looked up and I recognized her. She was the one I met in the forest. I kept my mouth shut. When I saw Nemesis looking at me. I nodded at the lynx. Signing that what Nemesis was suspecting was right. Nemesis didn't look happy at all. The lynx caused them trouble so getting her out alive was going to be a challenge since she passed the borders. Cadoc shifted back.

''The lynx was sniffing around and passed the border. Forgive me for reacting to you.'' Cadoc lowered his gaze.

''There is no need for that. You were doing your job.'' Nemesis nodded at him.

''Bring her to the castle.'' Cadoc nodded at the grey wolf who was holding the lynx.

Before I could think the words left my mouth. ''Wait, let her go. She's with us.''

I cursed at myself for not thinking twice. Making the wolves look at me skeptically.

''She is?'' Nemesis gave me a questionable look when the grey wolf let go of the lynx. She scooted away from the big wolves fast and took cover right behind me. She shifted back fast making her bones crack back in the right places.