c h a p t e r 6

Nemesis never got the hint, or he just ignored it. Talking about the things in life that had happened just wasn't for me. I hated the talking, the loss of control over emotions, and breaking down. I knew deep down I should have kept my mouth shut but I reacted to what Nemesis said. I always did. 

''Last time I checked I did not ask for advice. So keep that shit to yourself.'' I snarled at him.

''I can not let you handle things on your own Nova, even if you don't want me or Mia to help. God even if you hate me for it. I won't back down because you don't scare me and I know your life. So I have to say it so that you can remember, and then one day I hope, you will turn to someone and let them help you.''

By the time Nemesis was done talking, I had turned around. Laying on my side so I did not have to look at him anymore. I huffed at his reaction but kept silent. Nemesis was having the night watch and Dax slept like a bear in winter.

I still had not closed an eye when Dax and Nemesis switched the watch again. Nemesis wanted me to have a good night's sleep. But Nemesis himself wasn't sleeping either. By the time I had turned around so that I was looking at the campfire, Dax still had the watch and Nemesis was still wide awake.

Dax came into the hiding spot when he had down his round outside. Nemesis was sitting on the tree trunk next to the fire. 

''Why are you guys not sleeping?'' Dax asked when he saw that we were both awake.

''I'm not tired and he is bickering with himself.'' Nodding at Nemesis who had his chin in his hands and his arms that rested on his knees.

Nemesis looked me straight in the eye warning me that I was close to crossing the line. I rolled my eyes at him like the child that I was. Obviously, Dax did not know how to respond so he just looked at me questioning what the hell was going on.

Nemesis signed. ''Nova is right about one thing. I am not comfortable sleeping knowing that the orb is with us and we don't have any cover.'' I looked at Nemesis offended. 

''You mean that you don't trust us with the orb when you're sleeping?!''

''No! Nova, I am saying that the orb causes attraction just like Silas had his nose on it.''

''But why is it with us in the first place if you're so uneasy with it?'' Dax asked.

''Because the South Whisker pack is protected by a magic forest, without the orb of Semita we can't get through the forest.''

''Now I know why we met Axlan, he gave you the orb,'' I said as I remembered that we met Axlan right before we left. Nemesis nodded.

Everyone kept quiet after our again heated conversation but Nemesis broke that silence. 

''This morning, we will reach the border where we meet with the Beta of the South Whisker pack. I suggest you guys sleep another few hours before we leave." Nemesis said looking at the still-dark sky. 

''I'll keep watching the last few hours,'' Dax said as he turned around. Nemesis nodded deciding that he also needed his sleep.

I knew that I could not get any sleep after my nightmare. So I just laid there. Waiting and hoping that Nemesis would sleep soon too so that I could keep the watch and Dax could sleep. I could fly for a little bit while they were asleep.

The flames of the fire were very little and barely lit up the camp we made.

I was still bickering about all the conversations I had with Nemesis. I hoped that I could talk to Mia soon. I was laying on my side with my wings wrapped around me. I was watching the little flames dancing in the eyes of Nemesis as he stared into the fire.