c h a p t e r 1 0

I slowly opened my eyes. My head was throbbing with pain. Nothing new to me. I tried to move but my body didn't respond. I looked around trying to make sense of what I saw. In front of me was a charred and blackened forest. Ashes covered everything you saw. Coloring the earth greyish. Broken trees and dead plants as far as the eye could see. On my right was a wolf's head. One that marked the border. Well, which border? I was blown away for what felt like kilometers. The giant stone was an ancient monument that normally would look fabulous and strong. But now, all that remained was a scoured ruin. I tried to turn my neck. I looked around at the devastation of the forest. Everything was gone.

My eyes were still blurry from the dirt and the fire. I flickered with my eyes to sharpen my vision. All the movements burned. Like I had done a workout. I looked down and saw my broken wing. I felt pain in my back, my wing, twisted in an unnatural angle. Not a pleasing sight. I felt my body freeze when someone came into view. When he reached out to take my arm I slapped him with my left hand.

''Hey, easy! You have a broken wing and a broken arm. Stop moving around before you hurt yourself.'' I didn't recognize the guy that was trying to help me. He smelled like a wolf but I did not trust my senses, not when I was like this.

''You found them?'' I heard someone call out. ''Just one. The others are missing!''

''Let's get her to the pack house. I am sure Alpha Leonardo would love to hear about this''

''Yes, yes, I'm almost done. I'm trying to do less damage you know.''

''Hurry up.''

''No don't touch that. I'll carry her. You only make things worse.''

''You mean they, They burned down a quarter of our forest.''

The conversation didn't make any sense to me. My vision started to clear. I saw another man both of them had inked tattoos on their shoulders. It was a wolf, dark colourd with a moon behind it. In a circle around it was a decoration that covered the rest of their shoulders. The Darkest Moon pack.

''Okay, let's get you back up.'' I could barely move. I let out a grunt. The guy turned his gaze to me. ''What's wrong?''

''Don't...trust,'' I spoke with a rasped voice. The pressure on my chest started to grow. I coughed up blood. The guy looked horrified and tried to turn me on my side. I felt my eyelids fall. I knew that it would take a lot of energy for my body to fix everything and most of the time when a knight has very bad injuries the body will go into a coma state to process everything well.

''Hey, come on stay with me, knight. You can't bail out on me now'' I didn't catch what the other guy was saying as I lost consciousness.

I was pressed against a warm body. Although my arms still felt very cold.

''This room! Lay her down on the table. How much has she lost?'' ''I don't know. We found her in the woods. Make sure she is secured in prison after you're done. We don't know anything about her or her team. I need to speak to Leo. Where is he?'' ''He is discussing the events of the storm. The South Whisker pack found another knight. They're contacting Leo now.''

I couldn't exactly filter everything that was going on around me. I heard a lot of different conversations while also hearing the most annoying peep in my ear. That was probably from the explosion that the lynx took care of. I could have been dead. Well, I feel like I am dead.

When I woke up again I was in a dark place. Only the small candlelight's made sure I could see something. The walls were made of stone. I heard some small noises beside me. I was laying on a bed staring at the ceiling above me. I took in my surroundings and looked for an escape route. The room was dim but clean. I saw bars. Right across from my room was another room with bars and so on. Prison. I thought. I tried to sit up. My lungs were on fire and I could barely see anything. My eyes not sharpening at all. I stepped off of the bed where I sat. ''Where am I?'' I whispered.