Chapter Forty-Two

A quick disclaimer about the stores, I didn't even know some of these stores existed until Stranger Things so I just based what's inside them and stuff based on pictures from Google and found the stores themselves from a list on Fandom.com. I'm really sorry if it's not 100% accurate but I tried. 

I teleported Will and me to the mall about an hour before we were all supposed to meet up so we could walk around a bit before the movie with everyone else. I teleported us to the side of the building so that we could walk around to the front door without any questions.

I walked slightly in front of him, holding his hand as we walked through the crowd of people into the mall. I took us over to the wall so we wouldn't be in anybody's way while we talked. "So, what do you want to do first?" I asked him. He looked around at some of the stores near us, "No idea. What do you want to do?" He asked me, looking down to see my face. Over the past couple of months, he'd gotten really tall and was now having to look down at me more.

"We could just walk around for an hour," I suggested. He nodded and grabbed my hand as we started walking. I spotted Waldenbooks a few stores in front of us and tugged slightly on Will's hand and gestured in the direction of the store. He smiled and nodded, walking towards the book store. We split up once we walked in with Will going to the back to look at comics while I looked at the horror novels.

Now, is my life a horror novel? Yes. Does that mean I probably shouldn't like horror novels? Also yes. I do though, maybe it's because they're usually about vampires and ghosts and stuff. Which is ten times less scary than demogorgans and demo-dogs and the Upside Down in general. I read the backs of a couple of books and decided on 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King. I walked to the back of the store and found Will still looking through some superhero comics.

I came up behind him and wrapped my arms around his waist, resting my chin on his shoulder. He tensed up at first, but then calmed down once he realized it was just me and turned around, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"You pick out a book?" He asked me. I nodded, "You pick out a comic?" I asked him in return. He shook his head, "They don't have the right one." I nodded and we walked up to the cashier and I paid for my book with some money I had "borrowed" from Axel. I had given twenty of it to El before I teleported back to where Mike and the others were but I had kept another fifty or so. 

After I paid for my book, we left to keep wandering around the mall. We stopped in Sam Goody, a music store but neither of us found anything worth buying so we left. We then went inside a candle store called WIcks 'N' Sticks where I found the most adorable candle ever. It was a walrus candle. I had to have so I bought it, but he's too precious to burn so all he's gonna do is sit there and look pretty. His name is Walter. (Pic above)

We saw the time on the big clock in the center of the mall once we left the candle store and saw it was five minutes to the time we were supposed to meet up. We figured being a little early was better than being a lot late so we made our way outside to wait by the front door.

Max and Lucas showed up a few minutes after we had gone outside and we talked while we waited for Mike to show up. While I was living with the Byers, El was still living with Hopper so she wasn't allowed to leave the house very often. Now was one of those times she wasn't allowed to leave.

"You're late," Lucas spoke, causing me to turn around to see Mike parking his bike in the bike rack. "Sorry!" Mike responded. "Again." Lucas continued. He wasn't wrong, this was the fourth time he had been late.

"We're gonna miss the opening," Will spoke up. "Yeah, if you guys keep whining about it. Let's go!" Mike retorted. "'If you guys keep whining about it.' nyeh-nyeh-nyeh." Lucas mocked him.

"Just please stop talking, dude," Mike said, pushing Lucas to turn around and walk with the rest of us following towards the ice cream shop. "Let me guess. You were busy." Lucas continued, smacking his lips.

"Oh. Yeah, real mature, Lucas." Mike replied. Max and I just gave each other a look from the sides of our boyfriends. This happened every time we hung out nowadays.

"'Oh, El, I wish we could make out forever, and never hang out with any of our friends.'" Lucas mocked Mike. "Ew, that's my sister you're talking about," I spoke up, scrunching up my nose in disgust. "Will thinks it's funny." Lucas tried to defend himself. "Because it is." Will laughed. I lightly smacked him upside the head and he stopped laughing real quick.

"Yeah, it's so funny I want to spend romantic time with my girlfriend," Mike told Lucas, already tired of this argument. Lucas wrapped an arm around Max's shoulders, "I'm spending romantic time with my girlfriend."

We then start pushing past people on the very crowded escalator to go down to the ground floor. A couple of people yelled out at us as we pushed past them while Mike and I continuously apologized with the occasional 'sorry' or 'excuse me' from Max and Will.

Mike was the first one to reach the ground and immediately ran into someone. Dumbass. 

"Hey!" "Watch it!" The girl and her friend yelled at him as they continued walking. "Yeah! Watch it, nerd!" We heard a girl yell. We all turned in that direction to see Erica, Lucas's sister, sitting with her friends and eating ice cream.

"Isn't it past your bedtime?" Lucas called out to her as we continued to walk away towards Scoops Ahoy. "Isn't it time you died?" She shot back.

"Psycho!" "Butthead!" "Mallrat!" "Fart face!" They went back and forth until Lucas blew a raspberry at her and Max pulled him to look away from her. "Oh, now that was mature."

We walked up to the Scoops Ahoy counter and waited as Mike kept pressing the little bell. "Hey, dingus, your children are here." The girl working behind the counter, Robin, called into the back.

The glass window separating the seating area and counter from the back room opened and Steve poked his head out, "Again? Seriously?" Instead of answering we all just stared at him like, 'yes, again'. As Mike pressed the belle again.

Steve opened the back door into the service hallway for us as we walked down it towards the movie theater, having done this several times now. "Come on, come on. I swear, if anybody hears about this--" We all cut him off, "We're dead!"

We walked down to the door leading into the movie theater and waited while Mike poked his head out to make sure the coast was clear. "All clear." He told us and we all filed out, heading straight for the Day of the Dead movie.

I sat down next to Will and this other woman I didn't know and I started to dread the next twoish hours. We all wanted to go see a movie and the others had agreed on Day of the Dead. I don't like scary movies. And not because they scare me, but because they bring back bad memories sometimes and aren't at all scary like they're supposed to be. 

Hopper still wouldn't let El come and Dustin was still at camp but the rest of us are all here since we always seem to hang out as a group. I didn't want to ruin it for everybody else so I just sucked it up and hopefully, I'll be fine. 

"See, Lucas, we made it." Mike smugly told him. "We missed the previews," Lucas complained. "Still made it. Fart face." Max teased Lucas, grinning at him as he made a face at her. The girl next to me shooshed them just as the movie started.

Will took off the backpack he'd been wearing and he and Mike started taking out food and drinks, passing some to Lucas and Max, who were directly in front of me. I heard Max and Lucas whisper something to each other as the movie sputtered and then stopped.

Several people called out in annoyance, Mike and Max included. The movie started again soon after and the crowd cheered. I noticed Will kinda zoned out and touching the back of his neck.

Mike and I gave each other a look and I placed my hand on Will's arm as Mike spoke. "Hey." Will gasped and looked over at him, "You okay?" 

"Yeah," Will responded. "Are you sure?" I asked him. He turned to me and nodded, holding my hand now. "Of course." Mike nodded then turned back to the screen but not before shooting me another look. I nodded also, squeezing Will's hand before also turning back to the movie.

I could tell that he had a bad feeling about something, I knew that look on his face. I also knew that this would have something to do with the Upside Down. It's gonna be a long, hard, summer.