Chapter Forty

El and I were both sat on the chair in front of the table with the mirror to do our hair and makeup for the Snowball at the boys' school. I helped El with her hair and did mine, and she did our makeup. Neither of us has had much experience with makeup so we kinda just got some eyeshadow and some lipgloss from the store. And because we have so little experience with makeup, we just did it the way Kali and Dottie had done it.

El had her hair mostly slicked back with a single curl hanging down in the front and a blue hair clip, with purple eyeshadow around her eye. I had light pink eyeshadow around my eyes with my hair done similarly to El's, but with a pink hair clip of course.

El and I agreed we didn't want to match too much, so our dresses were pretty different. Hers was blue with pink polka dots, pink trimming, a pink belt, and slightly puffed out sleeves. My dress was a pretty simple red dress with some ruffled layers at the bottom and the midsection was tightened with an extra piece of fabric. Above.

We finished pretty quickly and looked at ourselves in the mirror. "Pretty?" I asked El, looking at her reflection. "Pretty." She responded as she took my hand in hers and gave it a squeeze. 

I got up from the table in our room, tugging El along, and walked out the door to leave. Hopper was standing by the dining table with his keys in his hand. "Hey you guys ready to-" He started talking but cut himself off as he looked over at us. "You two look gorgeous." He complimented, smiling happily. We both smiled back and then followed Hopper out the door towards the car.

We got in the back and started driving when the nerves finally hit me. You're going to be fine. He loves you. El thought loud enough for me to hear. I gave her a small smile and squeezed her hand.

When we finally pulled up to the school I felt like I was gonna puke. El and I climbed out of the car and walked inside, deciding to ignore Mr. Clarke at the ticket table or whatever the hell it was. He was too busy talking to someone I didn't recognize anyway.

As we approached the door to the gym El stopped. "Ready?" She asked me. I could hear the music playing over the speakers through the door and realized it was a slow song, Every Breath You Take.

I nodded in response and we walked in and started scanning the room for Mike and or Will. As I scanned the room I saw Dustin and Nancy dancing together and then saw Mike and Will standing in front of a table staring at us. We all stared at each other for another minute before we actually walked up to each other. It was kinda weird but I also felt like I was in a trance... with the food table at the back of the room. Joking. However, it did feel really good to see Will again after a couple of weeks of being cooped up in the cabin again. I also was actually really hungry though.

"Hi," I said as we now stood directly in front of each other. Oh my God, she looks so pretty. I giggled and looked up slightly at him. He was only a couple of inches taller than me but I still had to look up to be face to face. He seemed confused before realization crossed over his face. "You're thinking really loudly," I spoke quietly, really paranoid that someone would overhear. He laughed, "You want to dance?"

I nodded and we walked over towards the middle of the dance floor. To my right, I saw Max and Lucas dancing together and El and Mike were on the other side. I put my arms around his neck while his arms went around my waist. I noticed, looking around, that almost everyone else was like two feet away from their partner which was super awkward since Will and I were really close. 

As we swayed to the music we stared into each other's eyes and slowly got closer until our lips were connected. I know it's kinda cheesy, but I definitely felt that spark. When we pulled apart we were both super flushed. I couldn't get that stupid smirk off my face either.

After being at the dance for about another hour, it was finally time to go so all of us who hadn't already left walked towards the door to wait for our ride to come to pick us up. The boys, El, Max, and I just kind of stood in a group close together.

"Mike!" We all turned around and Nancy was walking towards us from the gym with Johnathan. "There's totally something going on between them," I whispered to Will who nodded and laughed. They came and stood with us to wait. We saw Joyce and Hopper's cars pull up and I started walking towards Hopper's car when Joyce stopped me.

"Honey, Hopper and I talked and, we both agreed that you and Will should be together. So, you're going to come and live with us for a little while, okay? I've already got all your stuff." Joyce smiled at me excitedly. I almost squealed with joy. Will hugged me from the side and picked me up, kinda shaking me. Everybody else smiled and the adults along with Johnathan and Nancy all laughed. 

Hopper got out of his car and walked over to me as Mike and El said their goodbyes. "I'm gonna miss you kid." He mumbled into my head as he held me close to him. I tightened my grip around his midsection, "I know. I'll miss you too but I can always come to visit whenever I feel like it. I've got superpowers you know." He pulled back and ruffled my head affectionately. "Yeah, I know. And look, I'm sorry about everything over the past year."

I nodded and looked down, trying not to cry. "I'm sorry too." I bit my lip and it got harder to see through the tears when he pulled me in for another hug. "Be good for Joyce." We pulled away again and I wiped away the few tears that managed to escape and nodded. 

As he walked back over to the driver's side door, El came over and gave me a hug. "We can always talk whenever, you know that right?" I felt her head nod next to my head. "Good," I said as I pulled away, "I'll miss you so much, El. I love you." 

"I love you too." We hugged again, much quicker this time, and then she got in the car with Hopper while I grabbed Will's hand and we got in the back of Joyce's car with her and Johnathan upfront. I smiled as I stared at the window. These next couple of months will be better than the last thirteen years.

I was so uncomfortable writing that kiss scene(that's why it's so bad), so be grateful it's there, and don't expect many more. Sorry. Joking, but there probably won't be very many more. I'm sorry this is short I'm hoping to write the next chapter soon.