Chapter Thirty-Four

She took us outside and as we walked she started talking to us. "I was just like you two once. I kept my anger inside. I tried to hide from it, but then that pain festered." She told us. "Festered?" El asked Kali, not familiar with the word. Kali stopped walking, making El and I stop too. 

"It spread. Until finally I confronted my pain, and I began to heal." Kali told El before continuing to walk. El and I looked at each other frowning before following her. We walked over to a small ledge we jumped down from to be met with train tracks. We walked to the middle of it and stopped.

"Do you see that train?" Kali asked El. "Yes," El responded. "I want you to draw it to us." Kali directed her. El looked at Kali and then me, unsure. Kali just looked back at her and when El turned towards the train Kali turned to me. "I want to help you guys with your powers. This will help Jane and then I will help you but with your wings instead of your powers." She whispered to me. I nodded excitedly at finally learning to fly and we both turned back to El.

She had her hand out and was trying to focus. The metal creaked and the train moved slightly. El then became too tired and put her hand down, putting both on her knees while bending over and breathing heavily. "I can't," El told Kali.

"Last night you told me you lifted a van once." Kali retorted. El wiped the blood off her top lip. "Yes." She spoke. "The bad men were trying to take you and Six again, and that made you angry," Kali spoke and El nodded.

"Good. So, find that anger, focus on that, not the train, not its weight." El put her hand back up as Kali egged her on. "I want you to find something in your life. Something that angers you. Now channel it."

Blood started coming out of El's nose and the train moved towards us slightly. "Dug deeper. Your whole life you've been lied to...imprisoned." Kali spoke. The train started moving at a slow but steady pace towards us. 

"The bad men took away your home, your mother... They took everything from you. They stole your life, Jane." Kali said, getting more and more aggressive. El started screaming and the train was now a lot closer to us and El dropped her knees in exhaustion.

"Yeah!" I heard Mick whooping from our left and turned to see the whole group watching and cheering. I ran over to El and made sure she was okay. Kali then came over to us, "So, how do you feel?" El nodded her head, "Good."

Kali helped her stand up and then turned to me. "Your turn." I nodded and looked at her to tell me what she wanted me to do. "Everyone except Six stays here. Six, follow me." She addressed us all. I gave El a sisterly peck on the cheek and then followed Kali back inside and then up three flights of stairs to the roof.

"I'm going to use my powers so that only we can see you flying around. So, first, pull out your wings." She told me. I nodded and realized I never cut slits in my shirt like I was supposed to. "I forgot to cut slits in my shirt, do you have a pocket knife or something?" I asked her.

She dug around in her pockets for a second before pulling out an old pocket knife and handed it to me. "Here." She said, looking at me weirdly. I reached behind me with the knife unfolded and cut two large rips into my shirt for my wings.

I then handed back the knife and pulled out my wings.  I started to worry about how she was going to teach me how to fly because powers, she can help with since she also has powers. But she doesn't have any fucking wings. So, how the hell is she gonna teach me to fly?

"Flap your wings for a bit to get used to it and then I'm going to push you off the roof. It's how actual birds learn to fly." Kali spoke. I looked at her in shock. Actual birds have something to study and look at to know what to do before they get pushed out. I don't. I'm like 99.9% sure I'm the only human-animal hybrid so how would I know what to do.

I started flapping my wings to get used to the feeling and then I started to kinda twist and turn my wings so that when in the air, I'd have control as to where I'm going so I don't wind up in a tree. "You ready?" Kali asked me. I was very nervous but nodded anyway. I stepped over to the edge and Kali started to countdown with her hands just below the base of my neck.

"3...2..." Kali spoke and then pushed me. I started to flap my wings and angle my body upwards like when you're on a swing and trying to go higher. I realized then, that I wasn't falling and was actually flying. I looked down and with my amazing vision could make out the gang cheering just like they did for El. 

I flew around a couple of laps to get used to the feeling and then contacted Kali. I'm going to go really fast and see if what the scientists said about me having super-speed when I fly is true. I saw her nod from the roof while looking up with her hand shielding her eyes from the sun.

I then flapped my wings as hard as possible and felt myself shoot forward and everything around me blurred together and I could feel my face become flushed with the extreme cold hitting my face so hard. After a couple of minutes of this, I figured it was probably time to go back to everyone else.

I circled back around and super speeded back and stopped speeding when I got above them. I couldn't just hover so I had to make small circles to keep myself aloft. I realized I'd have to land at some point and figured I'd just try to descend slowly and then try to run-land.

I flew at a steady slope downwards and then when I got closer to the ground I became more upright and tried to balance myself and let my feet hit the ground with my knees slightly bent and started running and then folded my wings back inside my shirt.

I ran over to El after I had successfully landed. I engulfed her in a hug and then the gang came running over to continue hyping me up like they did to El when she moved the train. Kali started thinking really hard so that I would be able to hear her. Tell the gang to bring you to The Room and that I'll meet you guys there.

I looked up to her on the roof and gave her a thumbs up which she copied before turning to the door to the room. I turned towards the gang. "Kali says you guys need to take El and me to The Room and that she'll meet us there."

Mick nodded and took the lead, El and I following closely behind with the other three behind us. We walked back towards the building and went to a side door. Just as we got there, Kali came to meet us from around the corner. "Alright, let's get down to business," Kali spoke as she opened the door and led us inside.

Hey. I swear I'm not dead. I'm going to try to update more, but since I don't wake up until 2:30 pm and still have school stuff to do I don't have a lot of free time. Anyways, I'm going to try and update again within the next week or two.