Chapter Twenty-Seven

I was sitting beside Will on the floor of Mr. Clarke's classroom while he taught the class about who knows what. I usually pay attention because that's how El and I learn about things, but not today. Something in me just knew that today something bad was going to happen.

I looked around the classroom for someone to talk to. I decided to talk to Max, the girl that Lucas and Dustin were obsessed over. I got up off the floor and went over and sat on the floor by Max's feet.

Since I'm not really here I'm kinda like a spirit so in case someone were to walk into me, or me them, we would just go through each other. Hi, you're Max. Right? I sent her a message in her head not caring if people knew about me anymore.

She flinched, not expecting that and thought, what the hell was that. Who actually. I told her. Are you in my head? She asked, her eyes scanning the room. Technically, yes. And I'm not physically in the room so you can stop looking for me. And before you ask, I'm thirteen too. 

What do you mean by not here physically? She asked me. Well, it's a long-ass story but basically, I have powers so I can see and hear around places where I'm not. Like a ghost and I can read minds so that's what's going on right now. I calmly explained to her.

She snickered to herself. I'm going insane. She concluded to herself. You're really not. I am actually a person and I would prove that to you but I'm on house arrest. I explained to her. 

Just then, all heads turned towards the door where Dustin had barged through the door, panting. I turned back around towards Max who had just turned away from staring at Will when he caught her. Why were you staring at Will? I asked her, trying to remain calm. I could have just read her mind but I'm not a dick.

You're not real so I might as well tell you. Lucas told me that last year everyone thought he was dead but not to ask Will about it since he's still sensitive. I don't know but, I do know there is something off about this place.

She confided in me. Oh, you have no idea. But everything Lucas told you is true. He did go missing and people did think he was dead. It was awful. I told her. Didn't you say you could read minds? Max questioned me. Max gave Dustin a thumbs up to something he told her and then her focus was back on my voice.

Yeah, why? I asked her, questioning her question. Because if you are real, like you say you are, we could have some fun. She told me, a smile growing on her lips before she turned it back into a line. I nodded along, sounds like a plan. I told her smiling a real smile for the first time in a while.

By the time the first half of school was over, Max and I had pranked several people. It was hilarious. I have to go, talk to you later. I told Max who responded with a quick We'll be in the AV room. El shook me out of my zone and wiped the blood from my lip. "Go." She told me.

"What?" I asked, the smile from earlier slowly leaving my face. "See Mike and Will. Let's go." El told me as she dragged me out to the living room. "Oh. I was confused for a minute." We grabbed our coats and our shoes and headed outside. I offered to teleport us but El wanted to see the scenery. 

"Not stupid," El said to herself, walking over the wire the three of us had set up a while ago. I made El drag me along since it would take probably the rest of the school day to get there and I was trying to zone in to see what Max and the boys were doing.

Just as Max had said, they were in the AV room that El and I had almost set on fire last year. Ah, good times. Anyway, they were all crowded around Dustin's trap from his Halloween costume. So, I went up behind them and looked over their shoulders.