• 3 • The Business

Josie

Josie. I looked behind me, my eyes searching for the beautiful waitress who made my heart skip a beat with just a sight of her. I watched as her hips swung when she walked away and I couldn't help but admire how the uniform pants hugged her perfectly round butt and her long legs. I thought back at the moment she bent over to place my mom's plate and I could see her large breasts press against her shirt. Let's not even mention her soft melodious voice when she answered my dad's question...

A not as pleasant sound brings me back to reality.

"Orlando, dear, are you alright? You seem all flushed for some reason," Francesca's face displayed a concerned look. She rubbed on my rings and tattoos-covered hand, and I smile at her as an answer. She turned back to my uncle, Elijah.

Francesca wasn't all bad. She was mostly good, in fact. But I planned on breaking up with her in a few weeks. Part of me felt bad, but the only reason I hadn't broken up with her yet was because she was my first relationship that wasn't commitment free and she didn't get on my nerves... so far. She wasn't demanding, not that extravagant, I could see myself with her on the long-term. But that wasn't enough to make me want to stay with her any longer. It had been six months since we were together and I was already bored. I could tell she cared for me to an extent, though I knew she didn't love me, and I wasn't sure if I tolerated her more than I liked her. It was foolish of me to think that way, someone with my blood shouldn't go searching for love. I looked at my parents who managed to find love in their arranged marriage. Maybe if I stayed long enough I'd grow fond of Francesca.

"I think you did a great job with the restaurant, Don Stefano," Francesca complimented. "I can't believe Orlando never brought me here!"

"He's too much like his father, engrossed with the family business," my mom rolled her eyes.

"Not for long," my dad declared. "As promised to your mother, I am retiring in the first two years of the restaurant to fully focus on it, and on my dear wife."

"So you'll be gone in 8 months?" I asked. The business would not be the same without my father and his leadership.

"Make it 3, son," he corrected making my mom grin.

"That's such good news! I believe retiring would do you and Signora some good, Don Stefano," Francesca exclaimed.

I glared at her, though she couldn't see me. I didn't think it was good news. I knew that my father would retire someday and I would have to take over. I had been raised and trained in that mindset. I was physically ready, but something in me wanted to hold onto the freedom the business wouldn't give me.

"Aren't you thrilled, Orlando?" My uncle smirked. He had this sixth sense that allowed him to read people better than anyone I knew. My mother's maternal instincts didn't compare to his. I knew he knew that I didn't particularly jubilate at the idea of becoming the leader. And he toyed with that knowledge.