• 29 • The Merry Christmas

More of a filler chapter before the real action starts...

I've been worried about Orlando.

We moved in together a week ago and have slowly eased into the roommates lifestyle. The transition was rather smooth and happened naturally. I had been job hunting and reading the books that my man bought me that came with a beautiful old fashioned library. He, on the other hand, had been busy with whatever the hell had him holed up in his study 16 hours a day. I wish I was exaggerating. My baby who was so relaxed and happy just the week before had slowly grown back into his resting frown face. I would come visit him to drop his lunch or dinner and we would talk for a bit until he got a phone call and I knew that was my cue to leave.

Obviously, as a woman, I found myself feeling insecure and scared that he could've been disloyal. However, I trust Orlando enough to know he wouldn't do that to me, and when he picked up those calls his mood automatically lowered. Also, even though I went to bed earlier than him, every night he would sneak into our room and kiss my cheek before big spooning me, falling asleep in that same position.

Still, something in me told me he was hiding something.

I was reading Little Women when the doorbell ringing distracted me. My head shot up and I wondered who could possibly be visiting us. I chose it was wiser to stop by Orlando's study before I answered the door. Once there, I barely got the chance to touch the doorknob that the wooden door flew open revealing a jittery Orlando. Despite his agitation, he took a second to peck my lips, "Hey baby, were you expecting someone?"

"No, I was just about to ask you the same question. It's fine, I'll get the door, you can go back to work."

"No, I'm coming with," he said firmly, causing my eyebrows to furrow. That wasn't weird at all...

I followed behind him until we reached our front door.

"Luca?" Orlando exclaimed as soon as he opened the door. Luca removed the sunglasses he was wearing as well as his baseball cap, before inviting himself inside.

"Fratello! I thought you forgot about me for a minute!" He noticed me and his smile widened, "Ah, I see why now, how's it going, sis?"

He pulled me into a suffocating hug and I had to force him to let me go, "It's nice to see you too, Luca."

"What are you doing here?" Orlando asked, arms crossed. He was visibly a bit more relaxed, but didn't seem to appreciate the surprise.

"What, I can't visit my brother at his girlfriend's new house anymore?" Luca huffed. "I helped pick the decorations after all, I bet he didn't tell you that, did he? Sounds just like him to take all the credit for himself. "

I turned my head to Orlando. "I had no idea, I should've known all that good taste didn't come from one man. Seriously though, what brings you here, Luca?"