• 26 • The Mall

"What are we doing at the mall, Orlando?" Josie pulled a face as she undid her seatbelt

"We're coming to shop, what else should we do at the mall?" I rhetorically asked before getting out of the car and making my way around it to open the passenger door for her.

"Thank you," she took the hand I held out to her and stepped out of the vehicle. "I didn't plan on spending any money, neither did I bring any. You practically dragged me out of the house, and it's barely 10AM on a Sunday! You know what I should be doing? I should be sleeping in! Not to mention I'm starving..."

I subtly chuckled, making sure Josie didn't hear me, I knew not to mess with grumpy, sleepless Josie. And Lord knows the amplitude of her wrath once she finds out that I was amused by her attitude. "We can grab lunch as soon as we're done. Also, malls close early on Sundays, and whatever we buy is on me. Don't worry about money." I pulled her into my arms and kiss her cheek.

"That's what you've been saying on all of our dates, but I want to contribute too. Let me pay for something..." One month had passed since I asked her to become my girlfriend, and since, we'd been going on dates on the down-low. Everything outside of areas my mother often frequented, during times she wouldn't suspect anything. Josie really cared for her position as my Mom's assistant and I respected that, so we made it work so her job wouldn't be at risk.

"Not when you're with me, dolcezza. You're my girlfriend so I can spoil you. Besides, Christmas is in two weeks. See it as an early present." I was lying. Whatever it was that I was going to get her for Christmas, was definitely not going to come from a New York mall. I just didn't want her to grow suspicious.

She pouted, but I could feel her giving into my argument. "Yeah...ok then. But we're getting food first."

"Deal."

Five minutes later, we were in the mall, waiting in line to get some Chinese food.

I read the screens displaying their menu with furrowed brows, "What do you want to eat... babe?" She wasn't listening to me. She had turned around to watch the long Christmas train as it passed in front of us. Kids were laughing, bells were jingling, Christmas music was playing adding to the holiday ambience. The train eventually disappeared when it took a turn, and that's only then that Josie's attention was back to me.

"Hm?"

I pointed to where the train vanished, "Do you want a ride?"

She shook her head rather exaggeratedly, "No, no, just looking."

I quirked an eyebrow, "Are you sure?"

She quickly nodded her head, in an attempt to dismiss me, "It's for kids anyways."

"I know when you're lying, Josie," I insisted. She looked up to me and bit her lip in thought. She then looked back to where we last saw the train.

"Will you join me?" She asked in a small voice.