• 10 • The Silence Treatment

On Monday, a lot was on my mind

On Monday, a lot was on my mind. Aside from Saturday evening replaying its never ending narrative in my head, Felicia and Tyler had suddenly become cold to me. Meaning, there was no CNN on Sunday. I had a hunch that Tyler would get over whatever it was that kept him from being his usual self with me, but Felicia seemed stuck on bitter feelings. New York had just started to feel like home, the fact that what I had with my friends could be gone in a matter of two days didn't sit right with me.

I also had to leave place to more important worries, like Giulia's oddly specific tea recipe, for instance, which - I had learned in my time working for her - was the key to her heart. That morning, my slightly trembling hands held onto the scorching cup under the early October weather outside their mansion. Once she tasted the warm drink, she cracked a smile and hummed. My jaw almost dropped to the rare sight.

Having to follow Giulia when she gave out orders at the restaurant proved one thing... the devil does wear Prada. And some kickass Louboutins. Still, I couldn't help but highly respect her, because she got the job done, and that, all while sustaining her natural elegance. To my surprise, she didn't mention the dinner, of course there were other things on her mind, but I thought after my rushed exit she'd look for an explanation. We were silently working in the restaurant's office when I decided to speak up.

"Mrs Ricci?" She hummed. "I wanted to apologize once more about the way I left dinner. I hope you won't interpret it as my taking your hospitality for granted."

She lifted her head from her paperwork and gave me a small smile, "Don't worry about it. And, between you and I, I know the fallen glass wasn't your fault, but Francesca's. I don't especially love her, but Orlando seems to have taken a liking of the girl and that's more than what I could say about any of his previous conquests."

I nodded, though my cerebral hamster wheel was spinning uncontrollably. Previous conquests...? Orlando seemed like more of the romantic type with all his talk about Shakespeare and such, so was that an act? One thing was sure, if it was all for show and to get into my pants, Francesca had nothing to worry about, she could keep him.

I brushed off those inner thoughts and went on, "She made it seem as if I'm a threat to their relationship, but I assure you, I'm not."

Giulia put down the pen in her hand to give me her full attention, "And I believe you, Josie. But you can't blame a woman for having her doubts."

I nodded and smiled small. She was right, whatever it is that I did or did not do with Orlando didn't matter, because if Francesca had a bad premonition, she had the right to it.

"Do you hear yourself when you're moaning her name in one of those filthy dreams you have on nights you actually sleep?"

"Josie, do you, by any chance, know how to forge signatures?" My eyes widened at Giulia's question. The lady looked at me with desperation in her gaze from the opposite side of her desk.