• 36 • The Epilogue

5 years later

5 years later.

"Alfi! I hope you're hiding well, the tickle monster's out to get ya!" I yelled in a singsong tone. I already knew where the 4-year old was hidden but I was stalling on purpose.

I heard his small giggles as I approached the cabinet below the sink. "Hm, I wonder where he is... maybe in the oven? Or in the cup cabinet?"

"I'm too big for the cup cabinet, I'm four!" He protested from his hiding place. I chuckled silently at his plea.

"Did I hear a little boy's voice?" I exaggerated my surprise.

"Oh no..."

I opened widely the sink cabinet and my small four eyed son managed to slide himself out and run to the living room. I chased after him laughing along with him. I caught him just in time as he threw himself on the couch. "Gotcha!"

I tickled him as he laughed uncontrollably. The sound of the door closing shut stopped us in our game. "Oh did you hear that?"

"Is it 5 yet, Mommy?"

I looked at my watch, "Yes it is."

He jumped off the couch and ran to the door, "It must be Daddy!"

I followed my son to the door of our condo. "Careful on the steps, baby!"

I warned him too late as he was already in his father's arms as the latter spun him in the air enthusiastically. I watched my son and his father and admired their bond.

"Cos'hai fatto oggi, figliolo? Hai abbastanza tua madre per me?"

(What did you do today, son? Annoyed your mother for me?)

"No, ma l'ho fatta ridere molto!" The little boy responded with a huge grin. Orlando insisted that Alfeo learned Italian.

(No, but I made her laugh a lot!)

"Il bambino della mamma non potrebbe mai infastidirla, vero, Alfeo?" I too became pretty fluent in Italian.

(Mommy's baby could never annoy her, right, Alfeo?)

He nodded while his father put him down not after ruffling his curly light brown hair. I leaned forward and pecked Orlando's lips. "How was work, baby?"

"Busy, I sold a few houses in Manchester and an apartment complex, then we had a meeting concerning possible investments," he answered as he removed his coat.

"Same old?"

"Basically. I see they finally found a way to replace you at the bookstore. You enjoyed your rest day?"