• 21 • The Party

"I need you to organize a party

"I need you to organize a party."

Already? Italians sure do have a quirky way to grieve... "Hm. What kind of party?"

"An engagement party."

Engagement party? But for who..?

"Orlando and Francesca should send me the details throughout the day. They're still in Italy and they'll stay there for a couple days, but they should be back much before the date of the event."

A foreign feeling ran through my blood as I processed Mrs Ricci's words. Engagement party... for Orlando and Francesca. My brain refused to accept it as a truth, and yet, here Giulia was, ranting about the organization of the infamous party.

"I want something big, something elegant, memorable. Of course, whatever detail you'll be given by Orlando and his fiancée you'll run by me..."

His fiancée.

But just last week he-

And didn't we-

Oh, that son of a-

"Josie? Are you alright?"

I meekly nodded and forced myself to focus.

"As I was saying, I have to make sure everything is perfect, it is my son's engagement party, after all. There's only one chance at that in a lifetime, and let's be honest, Luca's turn isn't coming in this life. Anyways, I was thinking we could get the restaurant to cater the event. Ah, yes! I need to call Orlando and his fiancée to make sure they agree..."

Orlando and his fiancée.

Sitting right across of me. I was angry, no, furious at Orlando, but my sense of professionalism refused to let it show. That two-timing motherf-

"So! Shall we start?" Francesca's high-pitched voice brought me out of my growing hatred for her fiancé and into the real world.

I sported my best smile and agreed, "Yes, we shall. I was thinking we could begin with the emplacement, do you guys have any ideas?"

Of course, with my luck, the two had failed to give me any specifics on their party during their time in Italy (I'm guessing they were especially busy), forcing me to conduct a real-life meeting. It was my first time seeing the future groom and his bratty pest of a future bride since they came back.

Damn, Josie. I don't remember you being this petty. Shit happens. Like the man you've just realized you have feelings for getting engaged barely three days after telling you he wanted you. But did he say he only wanted you?

Great point.

And what does 'I want you' even concretely mean? 'I want you to satisfy my disgusting manly needs and not mention it afterwards'? 'I want you to keep me company for the night even if it's literal adultery then act like we're strangers'? 'I want you, because no other sane person would accept such offer'?
Gosh, Josie, you are such an idiot!

Or maybe he was the one to have completely and successfully played me.

When he and Francesca came into the Ricci Residence's dining area, he acted with so much care and protectiveness towards her, that I almost felt... jealous. Why couldn't he treat me and look at me that way too? Not to mention his eyes. They didn't shine the way they used to when he looked at me. He looked so... blank. Something had changed about him. So much more than his whole demeanour, because, yes his facial features had hardened and he lost the kindness in his gaze, but he now wore his hair in a buzz cut. I'll admit, the haircut was extremely sexy on him, but still, I miss the soft waves of his longer hair.

"We were thinking the Lincoln Castle. They have this gigantic ball room. I really wanted something impressive and classy, straight out of a princess movie..." Francesca went into descriptions of the decoration and I was only half listening as my eyes were searching Orlando's. But his weren't on mine, but on a random spot under the table where I could only assume they were holding hands. Ew.

He didn't look like his usual self. I mean, he never was the giddiest person out there, but the way he just sat there, so stoic. It was like he grew up five years in the last week. In another context, I would've been very turned on by the darker and more dangerous look in his eyes, but all I could feel was genuine concern. What happened?

"Hm?" I was so lost in my thoughts that I hadn't realized that there were only Orlando and I left in the room. I looked around for Francesca, but didn't spot her. "She stepped out of the room to answer a phone call. She should be back soon," Orlando said holding strong eye contact with me for the first time that day. "I believe you asked me a question?"

I furrowed my brows then realized I had been thinking out loud, "Oh nothing, it was nothing." There was a short silence before I spoke again, "Congratulations, by the way. For the engagement," I smiled bitterly, trying to hide the anger that was slowly but surely boiling inside of me.

"Thank you," he mumbled arrogantly before breaking eye contact. Nothing? My attempt at drawing some kind of emotion from him has been unsuccessful and his rude tone didn't help in calming my nerves.

"That's all you got to say?" I challenged, catching his attention again. "Just last week you had a lot of things to say, or am I mistaken? A lot of sweet things too, mostly deceitful, but sweet, I'll give you that."

"I don't wanna do this with you, Josie," he groaned.

"Too bad, 'cause we're doing this," I declared with a vigor and a boldness I didn't know I had in me. "Was this all just a game, Orlando? Did you manage to find some kinda wicked twisted pleasure in playing pretend and fooling me with meaningless words? Was I a good time? You know what- I don't even want to hear what you have to say, but you listen to me, and listen to me well when I tell you, I. Am. Done. Hope you had your fun, because it's over. Now Francesca is gonna come back, and as usual I'm going to be professional and cordial, but just know you have lost my respect."

I don't know what came over me to tell him those things, but in that moment, boy, was it a relief. I let out a rather shaky breath, coming down from that adrenaline-filled minute, before it hit me. What have I done? I looked over at Orlando expecting the deepest scowl known to man, but instead the dude was smirking.

"What's wrong?"

He chuckled darkly, "You're cute."

As much as it could've sounded like a compliment, something about his tone sent a strange shiver down my spine. I gulped and with perfect timing, Francesca came right back and sat next to her fiancé, a huge grin plastered to her face. Wish I could rip it off...

"Where were we?"

A/N:

Tbh I'm just as confused as Josie 🤷‍♀️
And we're barely at the climax...
Francesca a lil too happy for me it's a ick atp

🤪Fun fact: I imagine Orlando as a leo/pisces and Josie as an Aries.

Vote, comment and I'll love u forever 🤎