• 25 • The Bike 🔥

I could feel his gaze from across the table

I could feel his gaze from across the table. He wanted to talk, I could tell. Every time our eyes met, it was like he was challenging me. Daring me to say something, but what exactly?

Well, it stayed a mystery for a solid fifteen minutes. Until...

"Did you have sex?"

Orlando's coffee practically came straight out of his nose. I, on the other hand, was choking on my croissant. I turned wide eyes in Luca's direction, then panicked ones in Orlando's.

Luca crossed his arms on the dining table and chuckled before he scrunched up his face in realization, "Wait... together?"

Orlando sighed and rolled his eyes. I only sat in silence, much too embarrassed.

"I knew I smelled too many sex hormones when I walked in here," Luca rambled. "Did you at least use protection? Orlando, I know I gave you the whole nieces and nephews speech last night, but you do know you can't ride the bike without an helmet on, right?"

"Riding a bike in this weather?" Giulia's voice startled us all. "You have some of the weirdest ideas," she mumbled while looking through the pile of mail in her hands, oblivious to the awkwardness the three of us felt.

The older brother cleared his throat, averting the subject, "New Jersey weather is ruthless."

"If you're complaining in November, wait until January," his mother scoffed, then sat down next to him. "Pass me a croissant, figlio. So, what are you going to do with your day?"

Luca handed her a croissant before answering, "Many things are on my to-do list, but the fridge is looking awfully full, and I plan on solving that problem today."

Giulia gave him a fake smile, "Very funny, son. What about you, Orlando?"

He was too busy staring at me, he didn't realize his mother was talking to him, so I told him with my eyes to pay attention to her. "Oh, hm, I have an appointment with my realtor. Got a couple houses to visit."

He then gazed at me with an indiscernible look in his eyes. I slightly frowned, but he dismissed me once his mother spoke up, "I thought you were staying here for a little longer?" Giulia sounded bummed.

"Well, finding a house isn't easy, so I'll stick around for a while," He reassured her, before smirking my way.

"I'm glad someone is being productive. I have plans to meet up with an old friend for lunch, why don't you join me, Luca?" She suggested to her younger son. "It's in a couple hours, you'll have time to freshen up while I call her, so she can bring her daughter, Elena. You'll love her, she's an angel!"

Luca groaned, but got up reluctantly and out of the dining room. Once she was sure he was far enough, Giulia addressed herself to me, "Josie, honey, could you please make sure my son stays away from the fridge? I went grocery shopping four times last week, and I am not going again."