• 11 • The Club I

"

"... Are you listening, Orlando?" Francesca reached over to my hand that rested on my thigh, while my other one was gripping onto the steering wheel. I hummed a yes, so she could go on talking and leave me to my thoughts.

I wasn't listening. I wasn't much listening either earlier at brunch after Elijah informed us of sketchy activity from Las Casas. I wasn't much listening when we sang Luca happy birthday and gave him well wishes. I wasn't much listening when Ma announced that they would be opening an ice cream shop soon. I was stuck on Josie. Or rather what Francesca told me a week ago. She hadn't mentioned it again ever since. She was sulky for a couple of days - which gave my dick a much needed rest - but quickly got over it.

Still, I couldn't help the guilt that washed over me when she informed me of my subconscious adulterous ways. I mentally scolded myself for being so disrespectful to two women I thought highly of. But especially, I hated myself for causing a drift between me and Josie. I noticed how cold she was to me on Monday, and, hell, I understood her, I just wished she gave me a chance to properly apologize. The way Francesca acted that evening was definitely uncalled for, but it put Josie in an uncomfortable position, all because of me.

"Do you hear me, dear?" I glanced in Francesca's direction and slowly nodded. "I was saying, I won't be able to make it to Luca's party, I have a girlfriend who's in town this weekend and we're going out for drinks, tonight. I hope it's not a problem?"

I shook my head, "I wasn't planning on going anyways."

She nodded and started telling me about her friend Sheila, as if I cared. I was so sleep deprived, I was certain it wasn't legal to drive in my state. But I wouldn't allow myself to get a full night sleep when I knew that my dreams would betray me. I would either find an hour to nap, or I would take myself to the guest room in the middle of the night and come back before dawn so Francesca wouldn't grow suspicious. I didn't trust myself anymore, I was losing control, losing reason, losing sleep all because of one person. The wrong person.

30 minutes later, Francesca had gone out to do some shopping and I had the house to myself and a couple hours for napping. When I woke up, I was startled by how dark it was out. I slept much longer than I thought. I sat up from my laying position, and found a note on the nightstand.

"You looked so peaceful, I didn't want to wake you. I should be with Sheila by the time you read this. I left dinner on the stove, don't eat it all ;)

- Francesca"

I checked the time; 9:28. I had been sleeping for almost 8 hours, which is a personal record. The thought that my girlfriend could've heard me whisper Josie's name in my slumber made my heartbeat quicken, but I knew she would've said something if it was the case. I didn't receive any new texts from her, so I guessed all was right.

I went downstairs with only sweatpants on to reheat the pasta Francesca made, and once my dinner warm, I plopped onto one of the kitchen stools. As I was about to enjoy my first bite, my phone's ring interrupted me. Luca. I declined his call, but it didn't stop him from trying again. This time, I clicked the green button. He is the birthday boy after all.