• 18 • The Girl with the Tattoo

The past two weeks had been long

The past two weeks had been long. Between the countless visits at the mansion, and the organization of the burial, my tasks as a personal assistant were never-ending. Nevertheless, I pushed through without complaint, realizing that this wasn't about me. It was about a family mourning their husband, their father, their brother-in-law, their friend. Stefano Ricci was a kind, generous man who allowed me a second chance. A chance to break some of my life patterns, while unconsciously contributing to the principal one. Death.

But it wasn't just anybody's, it was my boss's husband and Orlando's father. My grief was ridiculous compared to that of his family, and I had to put my feelings aside throughout those fourteen days. I had silently let some tears fall in the privacy of my bedroom at night, I had lit a couple candles at my church in his memory, but the best way I could help was by being there for his loved ones. So I restlessly worked beside Giulia to give him the best funeral possible, making sure there was no inconvenience whatsoever. I got to see Luca regularly as he would often visit his mother, it allowed me to get to know the sweeter side of his personality better. I even got aquainted with Elijah.

The only Ricci who made himself especially rare - so much so, he seemed to have disappeared with his father - was Orlando. I was there when every one of Giulia's calls weren't answered between the hours of 8AM to 9PM. I was always in the room when she would shortly chat with Francesca to check on her son, everyday, without a beat. Francesca really seemed to care for her boyfriend, and to provide him great emotional support, so I was a bit stunned when I saw Orlando's slightly hostile attitude towards his girlfriend, at church. Or should I add ex?

Eavesdropping was my most wicked vice. I listened to them talking the evening before. I remember the thumping in my chest once I recognized his voice. I was supposed to barge into that room a solid two minutes earlier, but I had to steady my heart rate first. What I heard seemed to be confirmed by the next morning's events, when Orlando was desperately trying to avoid holding Francesca's hand. It could've been quite embarassing for her, but the two were pretty discreet in their game.

For my part, I had avoided him to my best for the last 24h. I had done a great job, though I couldn't avoid the glances he would give me every now and then throughout the day. Thankfully, that day was over as the clock struck 7:35PM. Some friends had taken the care to personally visit Giulia even after the service, which stretched the day out for all of us.

I was infinitely glad that I could kick off my heels and get into some more comfortable clothing. After having changed, I went downstairs to make my traditional chamomille tea, completely forgetting that it wasn't just me and Giulia living in the house anymore. So as I entered the kitchen, I was startled by the sight of Orlando sitting on a stool with his back facing me.

It's not too late. I prayed to anything and anyone above that he didn't hear me come in and began taking careful steps backwards.

"Too late," his deep voice resonated. "I already heard you, might as well come in."