Chapter 42

A/N: I wonder why that could possibly be happening.

Technoblade's POV-

I could sense someone watching us as me and tommy exited the house, on our way to L'Manberg for some information as well as some minor terrorism. I stay closer to Tommy on our walk, cautious of the presence following our every move. It has been doing this for a few days now so I've been sure to stay by Tommy's side while we leave the house. I'm not saying he's incapable, just that I'm more capable. We made it to the outskirts of the SMP and drank our invis pots, making me feel the glare become intense before disappearing entirely.

We make our way to where I can see Ranboo. He's the only cabinet member we can find, and he gave me my armor back shortly after finding Tommy at my home. I'm not complaining though, but he didn't have any tools or weapons. I pull him while still invisible and he makes a startled sound as he gets pulled behind a wall, out of sight. I feel the stare come back. Me and Tommy drank milk.

Ranboo's eyes widened. "What are you guys doing here?" He whispered. "We need to talk to your president about getting my tools and weapons back, at least a few." Ranboo sighed. "He isn't gonna just give them to you. I can get him out here for you guys but what's your plan." Tommy gave a wide grin. "Show him big man." I nodded and reached into my satchel. I pulled out what looked to be a skull covered in ash. Ranboo's eyes widened. "Oh that's funny. Yeah, that's definitely a good motivator." He nodded, and retreated to get Tubbo.

He returned with Tubbo and Fundy while me and Tommy turned the corner. Tubbo looked at Tommy wide eyed. "You're alive?" He asked shocked, I'd forgotten everyone though he'd died in exile. Tommy snarled. "No thanks to you." Tubbo was beginning to speak before I cut him off. "We're not here for your little reunion. I need my tools and weapons back, or else." Tubbo looked me in the eyes. "Or what?"

I pulled out the skull as well as patted the very bulky bag containing the other 2 and the soul sand. "Just some minor terrorism." Tubbo stepped forward. He handed me a sword and axe. "What about the rest?" I asked. "I don't have them on me." Is all he said. "At least tell me the date of this festival. I can clearly see the decorations." "January 6th" Ranboo supplies. I smirk and put my weapons in their sheaths and backed up. "Not good enough with my tools, but thanks for the info." With that I threw the soul sand and a wither skull to Tommy. He quickly made the base and put the skull in the middle and I slammed the last 2 with my hands. It was all done so quickly they couldn't do anything.

It started to glow and meld together until it formed a beautifully destructive creature, the wither. I let out a laugh before me and Tommy took this moment to retreat while they were busy with the wither. We drank the invis pots and returned to the arctic.

Nightmare's POV-

"Hello?" I answered the phone. "Dream is having Former Subject Technoblade retrieve Philza from his home. Subject Tommy should be alone for about an hour. Is that all the information you needed Nightmare?" I grinned, knowing my favorite foundation worker would always help me. "Yes that's perfect. Thanks Agent S'Major, talk later." I hung up the phone and put my throwing knives in my utility belt along with the jar of poison for blades. I put the quiver of arrows on my back and hung my crossbow on there too, then took 2 karambits, one for each hand.

I quickly dropped from my position in the trees and snuck inside the house. I could hear a jukebox from downstairs and headed down. I peeked in the basement under the basement and saw the blond boy laying on his bed listening to a disc and grinned. I pulled the crossbow off by back after shoving the karambits in my pockets and put an arrow in it after sprinkling the poison on it. I shot it but he heard the shot and quickly dodge. I snarled before switching back to my karambits, him knowing I'm there.

I came out of my hiding spot and Tommy pulled a frown at me. "I assume you're Nightmare without your mask. I've seen Dream's eyes before so it makes sense you share them." I grin. "You'd guess correctly Mr. Innit. I've been told to retrieve you. Either come willingly or I will take you by force, and I was made one of the best mercenaries in the SMP." He takes out a sword and I reply by getting into position. I cannot fail, it is simply not an option. I leap at him and swipe at his chest. He dodges and takes a wide swing to my abdomen area, but I back. He makes a break for the ladder and I pull out a throwing knife and throw it at him.

He moves last minute and it just scrapes his arm. He makes it up the ladder and I follow after. He bursts out the door and I do moments after, neither of us dawning cloaks knowing it'd slow us down. I take my crossbow and take shots at him, him dodging until one buries into his shoulder. He stumbles and I take the opportunity to run at him, dagger laced with the poison in my hand. I swipe at him but he dodges back.

I'm tired but everything is telling me to not stop fighting until he is with Dream again. So I follow his every move, trying to cut him with the dagger as he evades and manages to get a few hits in as I get desperate and more reckless.

I hear fast footsteps and quickly surge forward, trying to simply get Subject Tommy before someone else interferes with my mission but another sword blocks my blade. Holding that sword is Former Subject Technoblade. I scowl, he's the reason I couldn't capture Tommy anytime prior. He pushes my blade back towards me before rushing me. I'm not able to match the blows that are seemingly never ending and I just get more and more tired.

All it takes is one fumble, one misstep, one mistake. And I got a long mildly deep long cut across my chest and a bit onto my arms. I fall to the ground, my blood soaking the snow. But all I can see is red and all I can think of is Tommy. I need to get Tommy. I need to. There's no other option in my mind. If I don't then what do I do? I get up and can't even feel the pain, but Techno is still blocking my way to Tommy, Philza now with Tommy. I surge back forward and hear Techno mumble, "It's like she's a machine." Before meeting my blades with his own once more.

We trade hits, I don't even feel the pain anymore but I'm stumbling a lot more now causing me to make more mistakes and get more wounds all while not getting any closer to my goal. I feel someone grip around me and start thrashing. Techno quickly grabs my blades and throws them to the side as he holds my hands together. "Let me go Phil!" I yell.

"No! You are not a machine or a puppet! Stop acting like one!" I snarl. "How dare you! I am my own person with my own goals! And right now that is to take Tommy back to my brother!" I struggle but my body is too tired to make any progress. "But who told you that! Your brother?! The foundation?! Face it Nightmare! You are a puppet made of clay! Easily moldable and controlled and able to be scrapped at a moment's notice!" My vision gets black spots and I'm getting cold.

"Even if that's true my fate is far better than all of yours will be. You guys are just pieces in our game, but I'm a piece that became a player! You all will be scrapped when we find a new game while I move on to the next game, maybe even my own game! All thanks to my brother!" Phil squeezes tighter. "Just sleep Nightmare. I'll find a way to fix this. Even if it means having to lose someone else."

The world goes black. I have failed.

I don't know what to do next.