Chapter 2

***

Lisa loved her job. It had been difficult to convince her family that she’d not wanted to be an active part of the business, sitting in boardrooms making decisions. After numerous discussions they had finally accepted her choice to fly the planes, rather than deciding where to fly them to. Due to her lack of personal involvement at the top, Lisa had stayed out of the public eye and had enjoyed a normal lifestyle, working for several different airline companies over her short career.

However, everything had changed when her parents had passed away half a year ago, and Lisa, being the only heir to the Manoban Empire, had had to finally accept the reins. Her parents had had a well picked team of highly trained people, and after their sudden accident, Lisa had been reluctant to get involved at first.

The company had functioned well without her, but Jackson, her dad’s closest adviser had convinced her of her responsibility towards her parent’s legacy. She had had no choice but to drop what she loved and step up to ensure the well-being of the company, but with some of her own conditions thrown in. After long conversations with many different board members and advisers she had convinced each of them of the necessity to get to know the people who worked for her. Lisa had found it immensely important to investigate how the airline really worked and to identify how she could improve procedures, utilising her experience of working with their competitors.

However, the only way to do so, without having to deal with people crawling up her ass, would be for her to go in undercover. She had faked the documentation and had sent herself over as the new pilot and it had worked fine in the last two airports. She was keen to make it work here as well.

The only difference this time to any other airport her airline operated from, was this was her hometown, and she knew one the pilots rather closely and worried this would compromise her mission. She had called beforehand and had explained the situation. Her friend had sworn secrecy and Lisa prayed it would be enough.

She had changed into her uniform, shortly after helping the blonde woman in distress, and had made her way over to the airplane before the cabin crew was due to arrive. She had just finished her outside round and had re-entered the plane, when she’d felt two hands on her shoulders, coming out of nowhere.

“Fuck!” She exhaled and eyed the person angrily. “You could have killed me.”

“Could have, but haven’t.” A big grin on her face. “So, what brings you to my neck of the god damn woods, Manoban?” Jisoo asked.

“Ssssh. I told you not to use my real name.”
“Geez, what are you going by these days then?”

“Bruschweiler.”

“Alright. Captain Bruschweiler. Welcome on board.”

They started their check-up, when the sound of heels against linoleum announced the arrival of the cabin crew, which was seconds later confirmed with loud chatter and a knock against the cabin door. Lisa had looked up and over her shoulder to greet the head of cabin, when her eyes fell onto a set of very familiar brown eyes.

“Roseanne?”

***

Roseanne scrunched up her nose in confusion. “What are you doing here?”

“I could ask you the same.” Lisa furrowed her brow and stood up; eyeing the uniform she hadn’t been able to see before due to the coat. “Are you a flight attendant?”