Chapter 9

***

My room number is 214. I’ve found the movie on Netflix. Hurry up or I’m visiting Santa without
you.

Roseanne stared at her phone for the millionth time since she had sent the message to Lisa, who hadn’t answered nor showed up so far. She had decided to call room service to order dinner once the brunette was there to make sure the food was warm. She wondered if she should call her to check if everything was alright. The pilot had seemed as eager to spent time with her as she had.

Why would Lisa stand her up now?

Roseanne paced back and forth in her hotel room, wondering and sighing, when she finally heard a knock at the door. She quickly made her way over and before seeing who was there.

“Wow finally. Took you long enough -” She stopped and gaped like a fish upon seeing a man on the other side of the door.

“Um, hello?” He cleared his throat. “I’m sorry to disturb your evening Ms. Park, but I have a message for you.”

He explained with a bright smile. He handed over a small bottle of champagne, a box of chocolates and a note. Before Roseanne could say anything the man turned around and left her standing with her hands full. She furrowed her forehead whilst stepping back and closing the door with a swing of her hips.

Roseanne,

I’m really sorry I can’t be with you already, but I hope the refreshments will help you enjoy the movie.

Lisa

Roseanne smiled at Lisa’s words, but immediately sadness took hold of her features and she sighed disappointedly. Whatever the pilot was busy with was more important than being here with her. She cringed at her thoughts. Lisa had a life, which was apparently higher class, if she felt the need to send something to Roseanne’s room as an apology for not being there personally. The blonde looked up from the note and eyed the alcohol and sweets. Who does that? A simple text would have just been as informative.

Roseanne shrugged and opened the box of sweets, a tiny piece melted on her tongue whilst she marvelled in its rich taste. “Wow, good stuff.” She praised appreciatively, sucking the praline.

Roseanne (20:16): Bribing me with bubbles and chocolate won’t get you out of this, but it’s a nice gesture. Thank you. :-)

....

Lisa felt the vibration in her pants pocket and started fidgeting almost immediately, hoping she had gotten a text from a certain blonde assuring her she wasn’t mad. Hoping being the operative term. She had managed to make a quick call to the hotel on her pretended toilet break to make sure Roseanne knew how sorry she was. Lisa was more than disappointed for missing out on their downtime together.

She sighed and stealthily pulled her phone out to read the message.

“Lisa? You ok?” Veronica looked at her worriedly. Lisa’s facial features must have displayed the giddiness she had felt reading the words.

“Um, yeah yeah. Just…” She lifted her hand holding her phone up. “Do you mind? I need to answer this quickly.” Her godmother shook her head, but eyed her curiously.

Lisa (20:18): I’m sorry Roseanne. Please start the movie and enjoy. Lisa

She had wondered if she might get a response at all and was genuinely surprised at the little time, which had passed.

....

Roseanne looked at her messenger, a tsunami of disappointment, sadness, and frustration flooded her mind and she sat down on her bed, champagne glass temporarily forgotten in her hand. ‘She doesn’t want to be here.’  The thought was running amok in her brain. ‘Why suggest it to start with?’