Chapter 8

***

Jisoo didn’t understand what Lisa was saying between harsh breaths and stammered words.

“Where the hell are you?”

“Restroom at terminal 3, vis-à-vis the passenger screening.” Lisa pressed out.

“Stay there. I’m on my way.” She replied before quickly walking down the hall of terminal two, cursing the architects for not building a corner cutting connection between the two building arms as they had done with the other terminals. She made her way through the staff security gate and went straight into the women’s stalls to find Lisa crouched on the lid of a toilet.

“Oh Lis. What’s happened?” She lowered herself down to be on eye level with her friend.

“I…” Lisa stammered, breathing slowly in and out, before trying again. “I...” She shook her head.

“Hey. Calm down.” Jisoo pulled her up and led her over to the basin and turned on the water. Lisa let the coldness wash over her heated skin, calming her overactive brain in the process.

“Roseanne…” She started again, but was interrupted.

“Oh god, has she found out?”

“What?” They exchanged a confused glance before Lisa shook her head and picked up the conversation. “Roseanne told me about Christmas Day. I didn’t know you guys were always off on that day.” Jisoo nodded while Lisa continued. “Do you want to know why I didn’t know it had always been a company holiday?” She grimaced at the breaking of voice.

“Why?” Jisoo managed, feeling the sadness for Lisa’s situation washing over her.

“Because my parents have never been home for fucking Christmas as long as I can remember. I’ve spent that day with nannies or butlers but never with my parents, thinking they had to work.” The brunette spat out in hurt.

“Where were they?” Jisoo asked in a calm voice.

“I don’t know.” Lisa spluttered and shook her head. “You know, I think it was my fault.”

“What?”

“With me wanting to remain a secret, they must have thought, I didn’t want to be their daughter.” Lisa explained quietly, painfully aware of the heaviness of her words.

“You’re not guilty of anything Lisa. Your parents had decided to not come home for the holidays to their only daughter. If they had thought for a minute you wouldn’t have wanted to be a Manoban they wouldn’t have given you the company.” Jisoo tried to reason.

“No Jisoo. You didn’t know them like I did.”

“Probably, but I’m sure they loved you and understood the reasons for your secrecy.”

“No they never have. I had to deal with the whole disaster on my own. They’ve never helped me or given me any advice on how to deal with Miyeon. They only told me to call the family lawyer and learn from it.” Lisa slumped against the basin. Jisoo stepped closer to her, rubbing her hands along the brunette’s arms in a soothing manor.

“Maybe they just didn’t know why?”

“Maybe.” Lisa agreed slowly nodding along. “I won’t be able to change that anymore.” She sighed heavily. “Also, why haven’t you told me about Christmas? I’m sure you’ve gotten the shift plan earlier than anyone else.”

“I haven’t checked thinking it’s like always. I’m really sorry. Can you not undo it?”

Lisa looked at her friend as if she had grown two heads. “Undo it?” She repeated unbelievably. “I can’t just reverse the decision. Flights are already sold for the day, and quite crazily if I remember the sales numbers. Not surprising if we’ve never flown on that day. People were probably delighted to get last minute flights with us ”