Chapter 2

We stop, and the carriage door opens, "what the!?"

"I-uh he fell asleep." I blurt out. Ivan looked at me curiously.

"Amelia we both know that's not what's happened. What. did. you. do."

"Ivan! Why can't you just believe me!?"

"Because I'm smarter than that Amelia! Now tell me what really happened? The prince needs to be at this party tonight!"

"Fine. I lowered his heart rate and he passed out. Happy?" I groan.

"No. Why did you do it?"

"Oh, I should have known! You're never happy. Where's Fedyor? He's much nicer." I ignore the question he asked. Fedyor was another heartrender, but cuter and nicer.

"Stop dodging the question! Tell me now! Or I will tell the King and Queen and you will be put in jail or better! Sentenced to death! Wouldn't that be fun?" He smiles.

I roll my eyes, Ivan could never be happy not even for a second. "Well mister 'i have to know everything' this charming prince was forcing himself on me, so I did what I had to I knocked him out," I shrug.

"Why knock him out if it's probably happened before?"

"Excuse me?!" my jaw drops.

"You heard me. Now speed his heartbeat up he needs to get going." Ivan said sternly and walked away. I can't believe that idiot. I've learned to ignore comments like that. Living in the grand palace and then moving to the little palace you hear rumors everywhere. You kind of get used to it.

I kneel next to Vasily on the floor and begin to speed up his heart. He gasps and gets up quickly looking quite disheveled.

"You!" he points to me, "what did you do to
me?! You'll pay for this!"

"I have no idea what you're talking about moi tsarevich. But I do know you have to get going to the party." I look at him with fake confusion.

"Wha-wha- you did something I'm sure of it! you will pay for this! But for right now I have to go." I nod agreeing with him and helping him out of the carriage.

Me and the other oprichnik walk Vasily into the party. Vasily walks to his friends and starts drinking and talking. Ivan and I stand at a distance but still close enough to keep him safe.

"You're lucky the darkling likes you Safin, or I would have told him about you knocking out the prince." Ivan whispers.

"He wouldn't care." I straighten my back watching Vasily hit on poor girls.

"Oh yeah? Something else going between you two?"

I scoff and glare at him, "no! You daft dimbo!"

"Mm ok." He looks at me skeptically. Can a girl be alone with a boy and not be together? Like come on!

Later...

"Well, it looks like the prince is drunk as a skunk," Ivan tells me and the other oprichnik. Vasily was currently wobbling his way over to me.