Chapter 31

"Ah," Nikolai's whole body tensed, "looks like my brother has come to greet us

"Ah," Nikolai's whole body tensed, "looks like my brother has come to greet us."

I couldn't forget his brother. Heavy lidded eyes, weak chin, and blonde hair like his brother.

My stomach was tied in knots afraid of the man in front of us. I ignored the feeling and sit proudly on my horse as Nikolai climbed down from his.

"So... you bring the Sun Summoner brother? And what seems to be Amelia." He said my name with such elegance. Made me want to puke.

Nikolai's jaw tightened as he put his arm around his brother, "I brought Alina Starkov the Sun Summoner." He tried to keep the topic on Alina.

"So glad I could be here to greet you, Brother." he walked towards my horse putting a hand out to greet me, but Nikolai cut in front of him. Nikolai placed his hands on my hand and placed them back on the horse. Holding my hand for a bit too long.

Vasily backed away getting the message, "you've been busy."

"Yes. I didn't just leave to party, unlike you brother. I'm glad you could make it." Nik pursed his lips, attempting a smile. They were being civil-ish I'm waiting for the moment one of them breaks.

"Of course. One always must be here for a royal prince. Even if it is the younger son." There it is.

"We younger sons appreciate what we can get."

"Brother," Nikolai said to Vasily. "Let's get to the palace so we can dispense with our greetings. I have a case of Kerch whiskey that needs drinking, and I'd like to get your advice on a foal I spotted in Ketterdam. They tell me Dagrenner is his sire, but I have my doubts."

Vasily tried to disguise his interest, but it was as if he couldn't resist. "Dagrenner? Did they have papers?"

"Come have a look."

Though his face was still wary, Vasily spoke a few words to one of the commanding officers and leapt into his saddle with ease. The brothers took their places at the head of the column, and our procession was moving once again.

"He knows what he's doing," Mal whispered, "Nikolai is no fool."

"I know," I said.

"We hope he is no fool," Alina corrected.

the city gates sprang open for the princes of Ravka, and the procession continued through the crowd without pause.

We reached the Grand palace with all its glory. Alina and Mal got off their horses as did Nikolai and Vasily. And the rest of the soldiers plus crew.

It looked as it used to. Gleaming white terraces with layers of gold ornament and statuary.

Vasily flashed a cheeky grin in my direction as Nikolai blocked Vasily's view from mine patting him on the back. The brothers walked away together as I helped myself off the horse and followed with Mal and Alina. The rest stayed where they were getting themselves to where they needed to go.