Chapter 28

My head was beginning to hurt as we continued our journey to Os Alta. The sun was out making me scrunch my eyebrows and squint all day. So much for the food and sleep to make me feel better.

We stopped at every town we passed. Showing off the prince and Alina. Yeah... it's been really fun. We dined with veterans and listened to ladies sing in a choir. Nikolai gave out food and bits of coins to people that needed it.

That was kind of him but I'm not sure if he was doing it just to have a good background. 

Nikolai smiled and never got tired. Alina on the other hand was tired. I could see it on her face. Her eyes began to droop and her smiles faded slowly. But when someone spoke to her, a random lady, a child, or just an old man on the street she would smile and shake their hand politely.

Currently, Nikolai and Alina were talking to a man. I got down from my horse standing near them. Making sure no one hurt them.

The man talking to Nikolai and Alina was eyeing me. Nikolai noticed the glances, he turned with Alina he took one of my hands quietly. "Go over there, help Mal feed the horses."

"No. I'm standing my ground." I held my head up high. Nikolai sighed and turned back.

"Who is that?" The man asked.

"She is the ex-right-hand of the Darkling and now determined to help our side. So you have nothing to worry about," Nikolai said, "she will protect you. She will protect Ravka. Besides, she's one of the most powerful women- I mean one of the most powerful people you will ever meet."

"And why would we trust a girl who slept her way into power?" The man's head bobbed towards mine, "She shouldn't be helping you. She will betray us!"

"Now, now, please sir. She means no harm."

I backed away slowly. So that's what people think of me. I slept my way to power? That's ridiculous! I am powerful. I am more than that. I don't deserve this kind of disrespect.

"She probably can't even hurt a fly! No skill! You have no proof-" he began coughing clutching his chest. I glared at the man dropping to his knees. My hands crashing together to physically hurt his heart.

"Amelia... that's enough," Nikolai whispered.

"Hold on," I said through gritted teeth.

"Please-" the man begged.

I let go and he dropped to the ground fully. Now grabbing his throat and touching his chest.

"Do you need more proof... sir?" I looked him up and down. This man probably had nothing better to do than hate on people. He wore a collared blue shirt with brown pants. Nothing new. His hair was gelled back -he needed to cool down and maybe get rid of the gel- no sides of his brown hair were sticking out.

"No! I-it's ok. You are a good soldier you are fighting for what is right."

"And?" I challenged him.

"A-and you didn't dare push yourself into power like that!" He cried. I shook my head and grinned, "yes but not quite the answer I was looking for. Try again."

Alina was laughing quietly attempting to hide it. Nikolai was rolling his eyes as the rest of the crew stared at the scene. Mal stopped feeding the horse as the crew stopped talking.

"You are powerful! So so powerful. I apologize. I will never disrespect you again." The man got up shakily. Blood trickled down his upper lip from his nose.

"That's better." I bat my eyelashes at him and turned on one foot. I left Nikolai and the man to talk amongst themselves. I skipped towards Mal as everyone stared at me.