Chapter 23

When we entered the shadow fold it made me feel horrible. A chill ran up my back and I was just waiting for a volcra to come to snatch me and kill me. What was Sturmhond thinking?

But then Alina lit up the place. But I still heard the Volcra in the distance. Screeching and crying.

"They're coming," Mal whispered towards Alina and me, "listen." Just what I thought. Volcra. The thing that messed up my face.

Their wings made a pounding noise as they quickly surrounded the light. The Volcra had gotten hungry and bolder because crossings had been limited.

Alina made the light brighter trying to back them away from us.

"No, bring them closer," Sturmhond muttered. Is he joking?

"Why?" Alina gasped.

"They hunt us, maybe it's time we hunted them."

Everyone in the flying thing whooped and did their usual weird howling thing.

"Do it," Sturmhond instructed.

"He's out of his mind," Alina said, "tell him he's out of his mind.

"I would but I don't think he would care," I answered.

"Well..." Mal said.

I choked on my spit and looked at mal incredulously, "Well what tracker?"

"You do know one of those tried to eat you! And Amelia!" Alina practically screamed.

"I want to see what these guns can do," Mal smiled looking at all the weapons Sturmhond had.

Oh boy. He's turning crazy too! We're losing him!

They lifted their rifles. I stood up and tapped Sturmhond on the shoulder.

"Yes, darling?" He turned to look at me.

"Let me have a rifle."

"Can you even aim?"

I scoffed, "yes. Now shut up and give me one you arse."

"Very well. Tolya! Hand her a rifle!" Sturmhond nodded towards me.

I walked away and stood next to Mal with the rifle that Tolya gave to me.

"All the way Alina!" Sturmhond yelled.

The fold went black. The wings pounded coming near.

"Now! Throw it wide!" Sturmhond shouted.

And as quick as possible the light spread out. Volcra we're everywhere a mass of ugly creatures with graybodies, sharp teeth, no eyes surrounded.

"Fire!!" Screamed Sturmhond.

I aimed and shot at the sky of Volcra. I lied to Sturmhond when I said I could aim. I actually had no idea if I could. I've never used a rifle in my life I was pretty good at it though.

I shot one. Then two. Then three. I was on a roll.

My eyes were watering from all the gunpowder and my ears were ringing due to all the gunshots. One by one volcra dropped. Some flew away. Then we stopped shooting.