Chapter 26

Ok

Ok. So I know that it seemed like I was on totally good terms with Nikolai. But NO. I was not. If you know me at all you know that I hold grudges like no other. Is that good thing? probably not.

That little scene yesterday was nothing. I just got... caught up in the moment?

Because you know what I found out before I went to sleep last night?

Nikolai asked Alina to become his Queen. At first, I felt like breaking down and crying. But then I got angry. I wanted to beat the living heck out of him. I tried, and—

"You're joking!" I screamed making Tolya open the tent to check what was going on.

Alina nodded at Tolya to give us space. I yelled and cursed like a sailor. Apparently, I was very loud because Nikolai opened the flap quickly. His hair was disheveled and his collar unbuttoned.

"What's going on? Are you hurt?" He ran to me.

"No, but you're going to be!" I attacked him and he fell.

"So I'm guessing you told her?" He laughed awkwardly looking at Alina. Not only was I hurt because of his proposition but I was angry. Did he want to use her? For her title?

"Mia, let me explain." He muttered looking at me.

"What is there to explain?" I sneered, but got off of him not bothering to help him up.

"Now, now Mia. You know it was never my intention to anger you." He gulped his adam's apple bobbing. He was truly scared of my power. Nikolai was the kind of person that didn't show fear. But I knew him too well he didn't like the look on my face.

He tried to shake it off acting nonchalant. I slowly played with my hands trying to calm down.

"Listen, I'm not asking for some lovesick romance, just a political alliance. It makes sense!"

I rolled my eyes, "it makes sense to you!"

"Saints! That's the same thing that tracker said."

Alina glared at Nikolai walking closer to me.

"I've served in the military. I understand warfare, and I understand weaponry. I know the First Army will follow me. I may be second in line, but I have a blood right to the throne."

"Stop!" I cried, "why? Nik, she's not some object. You can't just take her! She doesn't belong to you." I asked that. And that was a true question I wanted to ask. But I also wanted to know why. Why would he choose her over me? He flirts with me as Sturmhond. He cared for me on his ship. And now he proposed to the Sun Summoner. Just like the Darkling did.

And maybe Nikolai did have a point with being a good leader and having her by his side. But I was powerful too. Wasn't I?

"I'm trying to keep a country from falling apart. I'm not trying to keep her romantically." He looked to me then to Alina, "Can you leave?" He asked Alina.