Chapter 9

I tried coming up with a plan to escape him and save Genya

I tried coming up with a plan to escape him and save Genya. I've thought of using my other powers, changing my looks, trying to crush his heart, simply run away? But if I did any of those things he'd probably immediately send word to kill my sister. And I couldn't possibly be able to crush his heart, he was too powerful.

So I sat chained to a wall waiting for the idiot to walk back in. It was night now, but I wasn't sure what time. It could be the next day for all I know. He had left the window open and I was freezing. Left with no kefta or any clothing just the stuff you wear under a kefta. Which was a long white shirt with some breeches. I was sort of shivering.

The carriage came to a halt and a man walked into my little prison.

"Amelia," he said softly coming closer so I could see his face.

"Fedyor! Please, you have to trust me. he's evil Fedyor," I shiver and touch his cheek.

"Amelia, I can't... I'm sorry," he looked down sadly, "I brought you some bread."  I roll my eyes, "I'm not hungry," I said dryly.

"Please eat," he ripped a piece of bread off and tried to feed it to me. I turned my head away from the bread, "come on," he begged.

"No, all I want is someone to believe me and save me, save Alina, save everyone."

"You know the Darkling only wants what's good for us, good for you," he whispered.

I scoffed, "do you really think that?" He nods, I pinch the upper part of my nose and shake my head, "saints."

"Please eat," he asked again.

"I told you Fedyor! I'm. Not. Hungry. Do I have to spell it out for you?" He shook his head.

"For your sake Amelia, I hope you're right about him. Because I don't want to see you imprisoned for accusing him of such things."

"I wish I was wrong," I whispered too quiet for him to hear. He put the bread down and sat on the other side of the carriage. The carriage began to move again.

"Tell me," he started. I interrupted, "Tell you what?"

"Tell me about your childhood." What was he doing?

"What about it?"

"What was it like," he smiled and grabbed my hand. I think he was trying to make me feel better but it wasn't helping. But I told him about it, I was trying to stop thinking about all of my life problems at the moment.

"Well, as you know, I think you know I grew up in the grand palace. I was sold to the King and Queen with Genya by the Darkling at such a young age. Genya was already talented and didn't need any schooling. I on the other hand needed to study corporalki stuff.

"I was forced into learning about those things but I also wanted to learn new languages. So I begged the King to let me take language classes. It took a lot of bribing but I eventually got it by agreeing to study and practice extra hard for my heartrender and healer classes."