4. Errors of his era

"What are you doing here?" Philip asked once he stepped inside his house, throwing his arms around his best friend.

"Oh you know, just came to see your miserable self. Permanently." Carnel smiled, accepting Philip's hug.

"What?" Philip pulled away, eyes wide.

"The Carsons are moving back here," Clyde placed a hand on his brother's shoulder, grinning.

"You are not messing with me right? You're moving back?" Philip shook his best friend's shoulder vigorously, causing a laugh to escape the latter's mouth.

"Yes you bugger, we're moving back to our old house." Carnel smirked, crossing his arms against his chest, his usual black curls, now missing in his braids.

The boy was the definition of 'tall, dark and handsome.'

He had been best friends with Philip since grade one. Maybe the only male friend he'd ever had, since Carnel's twin had also rightfully taken her place as Philip's best friend.

The twins moved away to the next state, Wyoming, two years ago, leaving Carnel to experience his junior year on his own.

Philip looked behind him, the opposite neighborhood in full display since the door to his house was still open.

He repeatedly touched his little, ring and middle finger with his thumb, on his right hand, feeling the need to touch the wood of the threshold of his door--and he did.

"Where's Jade?" He asked suddenly.

Carnel pointed outside.

Jade was leaving their house, skipping her way to Philip's.

"Silly Philly!" She exclaimed, throwing her arms around Philip, both of them stumbling backwards a little.

"Jade!" Philip hugged his little best friend happily, twirling her.

"Kids, let me close the door," Clyde joked, meaning his words.

The teenagers stepped away from the threshold.

"When did you even reach? I video called you a day ago?" Philip laughed, surprising his brother.

The poor boy rarely laughed these days.

Clyde stared longer at his brother then shook his head, smiling as he left the teenagers alone.

"We reached here at one in the morning, and went straight to bed." Carnel paused. "It's really good to see you again man."

He ruffled Philip's hair.

Philip smiled whole heartedly.

He had his best friends back. For good.

--

"These are very complex words," Philip mused, reading Carnel's song.

"Your tiny brain can't comprehend this?" Carnel teased, slapping his friend hard on the back.