05 || Sleeping Beauty

Song: The neighborhood - Afraid (slowed + reverb)

𝔚𝔚𝔚
Josie

For as long as I've been alive, I've had an eye for art.

Marie and Michael use to say it was a useless habit but Daniel would tell me how they only said those things because they lacked the ability to make or see art.

And like a moth drawn to a flame, I spent the last thirty minutes examining each piece of art in what I now knew to be the foyer of this home.

They were all encased in glass frames and I stared at the pieces in wonder, studying them to the best of my abilities.

Although I had listened to Sammy when he told me not to move or touch anything, I would be lying if I said I didn't peek. 

It was hard not to when there was a beautifully arched doorway that led into what I presumed to be a living space staring back at me.

I had taken a few steps forward, glancing around the space and peeking my head into the area. It was large, spacious with expensive looking furniture that I hadn't ever seen.

It was a living space but a large and extremely neat one at that.

The floors in here were dark wood and there were various art pieces hung up on the walls but what drew me in was the back wall that spanned the entire space.

The wall made of glass.

They were floor to ceiling windows-the ceiling spanning heights I didn't even know a structure could have. But what took my breath away was what lied beyond the glass wall.

A magnificent view of the world below and beyond. It was like I was on top of the world, looking down on all the mighty and amazing things New York had to offer.

And like a siren, it drew me in. I wanted to draw it. I needed to paint it.

If only I could get a better view-

No.

I instantly stop myself mid step, remembering Sammy's words. I was to stay in my spot.

But it's as if the horrid thoughts have a mind of their own and they slowly start take over, feeding me horrible ideas and forcing my feet forward.

He said you couldn't touch. He didn't say anything about looking.

My feet take me forward, closer into the large space that is a living room- by the looks of it, multiple living rooms. One on either side of me.

And when I pause to look around me and properly take in my surroundings, I notice a large, curved staircase that leads up to a second level off to the side.

There's also many large light fixtures hanging from the ceiling in an oddly complex way, making me wonder how someone is able to change the light bulbs when they need to be changed.

And when my gaze travels to my right, towards the living space with a large U-shaped couch, I pause, all traces of thoughts escape me as another form of wonder takes over.