21 || Too Far

Song: Phantogram - Black Out Days (slowed + reverb)

𝔚𝔚𝔚
Josie

Exhaustion.

It was the perfect word to sum up the plethora of emotions washing over me.

I was hungry, tired, my muscles ached and I still needed to pee.

I cast a glance ahead of me at Nico who's now emerged in an intense conversation with the older man sitting across from him. I had tried to eavesdrop but they were speaking in Italian, not paying any mind to me.

My eyes catch sight of the back hallway where a small sign lays, indicating a restroom of sorts and I stare at it in contemplation.

I knew better than to wander off in a foreign place like this. Much less one that was far from safe but my muscles were stiff and achy, telling me that my time of month was coming. Not to mention, my bladder was seconds away from exploding.

I manage to discreetly make my way into the dimly lit hallway, holding my breath until I get into the small dingy bathroom and I lock the door behind me.

It isn't until I've done my business and am running my hands under the leaking faucet that a pounding on the door drawls my attention towards it.

"Just a moment." I sigh, still not ready to face Nico as I dry my hands and take a moment to glance at my reflection in the cracked mirror. 

My eyes aren't puffy but the flush across my cheeks is just another reminder that I'd been so vulnerable in front of a man that fed off of it.

"Strong." I whisper, squaring my shoulders and staring into dull brown eyes that long ago lost the spark of hope for a new life of freedom. "You're strong."

And with that, I turn and twist the knob, prepared to face Nico only I pause when I realize I'm not staring into cold grey eyes but into the glaring eyes of a greasy haired man.

Piggy.

He roams his gaze along my body, his eyes narrowed in what seems to be bitterness. "I see he kept you around." His snide remark drawls my attention to the nasty snarl on his lips and I'm once again reminded that this man had a particular distaste for women.

Perhaps he preferred men and this brewing feud with Nico was a lovers quarrel where he was jealous.

Either way, I didn't want to be put in the middle of it. "I don't know what you're talking about." I say, keeping my voice timid as I side step him and turn to walk out of the hallway.

"Ah, ah, ah." He tsks, grabbing my forearm to halt me in place and I find myself reining in on my agitation.

A girl could only bear so much manhandling.

"Blaine doesn't keep a tight leash on a bitch unless she means something to him." He spits, his accent thick and his saliva coating my ear.

My empty stomach caves in on itself, not in fear but in discomfort and hunger and it only fuels my annoyance.

I should have been scared of this man and had I not been so fed up, I would have submitted. But I couldn't, not when I knew he was scared of Nico.