Blog Entry Number Thirty-Three

(Candie's POV)

The date was a total bust.

I'm never gonna go out with Mark Frisken ever again.

First of all, he chose this horrible gory, slaughter movie.

He didn't bother to share his popcorn with me, so I had to pay seven dollars for a bag of small popcorn. He tried to put his arm around me while yawning, too. I think he forgot to wear deodorant.

And at the end, he has the nerve to try to kiss me after the date?

As if!

(Okay fine. I have to say, that I might have set the bar really high, so I guess it's acceptable, but he could've worn deodorant.)

On Sunday night, I heard my phone vibrate. I picked it up and answered the call.

"Hey, sweet cheeks!" Bella sang. "How was your date with Mark?"

"It was a disaster," I groaned, lying down on my bed. "Boys are jerks."

"I know how hard it is, but look on the bright side." She paused.

"What bright side?" I asked.

"I got nothing. Sorry."

I sighed. "It's fine."

"Get some sleep, 'kay, kiddo?"

"Okay. Good night."

She hung up and I sat at my desk. I looked through all of my index cards.

A few weeks ago, Ray told us that we were going to Swellview City Hall to give speeches. I had written mine, and needed to practice. I looked through my brightly colored index cards and mouthed them all.

But... they didn't sound right.

***

(The day of the speeches)

"Where will I pick you up?" my dad asked me.

"I'll call you and meet you here." I put my phone in my purse and looked for my gum. I carried the cylinder and ran inside. It was a Sunday, so no one was inside of "Junk N' Stuff", so I was free to pop the bubble anywhere. I placed the gum ball in my mouth.

After peeling myself off of the ground, I asked, "Hello? Charlotte? Ray?" Under my breath, I added, "Henry?"

"Hey, Candie!" Ray said, walking in. He was already dressed as Captain Man. "How are you doing, after the..." He let his voice trail away.

I bent down and untied my combat boots. "It's fine." I tied them again. "I'm fine. Finy, fine, fine." I don't know who I was trying to convince, though. It was either me, or Ray.

It was probably me.

"Are you sure? You don't seem 'fine'," he stated.

"I'm fine!" I barked, clenching my fists. "I'm okay! I'm happy, and just because I don't seem like I'm happy doesn't mean I'm not!" I glared lasers at him.

"Oh, okay then..." he muttered.

I buried my face in my hands, realizing how mean that had just sounded. "I'm sorry. And no, I'm not doing okay. At. All."

He patted me on the back. "It's alright. I know how hard this is."

"Hard? It's difficult as frick! I can't look him in the eye, and since we're a couple in 'Hairspray', we have to kiss at the end and it's so awkward!" I fell down on the couch and started crying. "I don't like having feelings."