Blog Entry Number Two

I woke up on the sidewalk, and three people are surrounding me.

"Aah!" I yelp, startled.

"Sorry, sorry!" one of them said, suddenly standing up. I covered my eyes.

"One, two, three," I mutter, then uncovered them. My vision wasn't so blurry anymore, and I can clearly see them. One of them had ebony-colored skin, and her black hair was in an afro-type hairstyle. I think she was Charlotte. The other one has a Jewish afro, and a pale face, which was being taken over by his freckles. I think he was Jasper. The third one had a dirty-blonde moptop, and lightly tanned skin. He was definitely Henry.

"You okay?" Charlotte asked.

"Yeah, are you? You went unconscious immediately!" Jasper said. I stood up.

"I-I think I'm okay. Nothing broken," I replied. I looked at my arms. "A few scratches, but I'm fine."

"That's awesome," Henry smiled.

"That's 'awesome'?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Um... awesome that you're fine! Not... uh... because you have scratches..." Henry's smile disappeared and was replaced by a blush.

"Just kidding. I know what you meant," I giggled. Charlotte smirked, and Henry's smile returned, this time he shows his teeth.

"Anyway, you're Candie Mitchell, right?" Henry asked

"Yep," I say, trying to sound as cool as possible, even though on the inside I'm screaming, "Oh my God! Someone knows my name!"

"Oh yeah! We're in History together, aren't we?" Jasper questions.

"And Math. And English. And every other class," I explained.

"Cool! Oh yeah, you're in the Art club, right?" Charlotte asked.

"Used to," I replied.

"I thought those posters you made for the Sock Hop were pretty cool," Henry said.

"Thanks." I looked down at my sneakers and blushed. I heard Charlotte humming. I look up and she stops.

"So, wanna join our--" Henry started to say, but he was interrupted by a beeping sound.

"Why is your watch always beeping like that, Henry?" Jasper asked.

"Oh... my, uh... boss at Junk N' Stuff needs me. Now," Henry explained.

The word "boss" runs through my mind like the "M" word. I suddenly remembered where I was going.

"Oh shoot. My job. Gotta go!" I said, getting on my bike and pedaling.

***

I quickly run into Famous Dave's and check my phone. No texts, but I bet he's boiling mad. I ran into the room that has a sign at the door that reads "Employees Only". Then I had to run down a flight of stairs that is behind another door that no one knows about (except me and a few other employees.)

"Um... sorry, Mr. Barlow," I practically whispered when I arrive into the room. Mr. Barlow glared at me.

"I called you forty-five minutes ago. Why are you late?" he bellowed.

"I was hit by a car on the way here... I think."

"I don't give a crud. Sit down."

I did. Mr. Barlow started talking about Kid Danger and Captain Man and how they'll never catch us because we're so awesome and whatnot. Meanwhile, I thought about Henry, Charlotte, and Jasper. Were they my new friends? Or were they just luring me into a trap, ready to start making fun of my antisocialness any second now. But then again, they would've left me there to die if they didn't like me.

"Candie. Have you thought of anyone who looks like Kid Danger?" Mr. Barlow quizzed.

"Um..."

"You know what? I'll answer this." He changed his tone to a very girly, airy tone. "'I'm so sorry, Mr. Barlow. I was just too busy being stupid and careless that I forgot!'"

I'm not stupid!, I wanted to yell, but instead I said, "It's just that... there aren't any people that look a lot like um... Kid Danger."

It was a lie. Henry kind of looked like Kid Danger, but I didn't want to say anything.

Mr. Barlow grunted. "Fine. Plan B: go to jobeo.com and look up, 'Junk N' Stuff'. That's where Captain Man and Kid Danger's headquarters are. Then apply for the job. Simple. Easy for someone without a brain to do. That's why I'm assigning this to you."

"Oh. Fine. I'll do it."

"Okay. Get in your costume. Robbing time."

I tried to hold in a groan. I hate my job. And I wish I can change my sidekick name. "The Camouflaged Candy" does NOT have a good ring to it.